The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have an odd situation. Last Thursday (8/13/2020) I purchased 9 Amano Shrimp from my LFS and acclimated them as per my usual method, drip acclimation over 2-3 hours. Unfortunately, at the moment I do not have space available to do a quarantine tank. All 9 looked great and immediately started to munch on some algae or explore a bit once they were introduced to the tank. One strange thing that I did notice was that they all had a slight blue tint to them, versus the typical clear/brown. I assumed that this was maybe the food they were given at the LFS. The next morning I had 2 dead, and both were very blue in color. I pulled those out and watched the others carefully. The rest of the shrimp had taken on their more common coloring. Saturday morning I woke to find another dead Amano which looked very blue, while the rest of them looked A-OK. This evening I came home from work to find another Amano flitting around the tank and landing on it's back and twitching. This one looks extremely blue as well, but it is still alive. So this leads me to believe the blueness is not postmortem. I'll add some pics for reference. Needless to say, I'm stumped. Has anyone seen this before?

The blue color made me think of copper right off the bat, but I haven't dosed any medication in this tank and my copper test kit shows 0 ppm. Could the LFS given them something that is causing this (food/medicine), because all of them looked a little blue when I brought them home? I did some more digging and saw that it can be dietary (cladophora or hair algae), but the only ones that present as blue die shortly after.

Tank Parameters as of Friday (8/14/2020):

pH - 6.7
TDS - 350
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
Phosphate - 0.25
KH - 2
GH - 8
Copper - 0
Temp - 74F

I use RO water remineralized with NilocG GH Booster and dose EI with NilocG Ferts as per recommendation. I perform weekly water changes in the 50%-70% range.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! It just sucks to lose them as they are really fun creatures and are expensive around here!

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.