The Planted Tank Forum banner

Amano Shrimp or some things else.

25112 137
petco brought Amano Shrimps berried with orange eggs. Never see orange eggs berried Amano Shrimps before.

Attachments

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Was curious about the dots and dashes... but I really don't think they are the same as false amanos... body shape is just different... that is, the "false amanos" appear "thicker" to me, particularly the females..
The dots and dashes were quickly drift out from F3 and they are some how look like a false Amano.

· Registered
1,428 Posts
Sudden changes could be genetic, but are more likely to be the result of a deficiency or excess in the environment. Perhaps a missing nutrient, lack of ultraviolet light, or even excess hormones from overcrowding.

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
So far, attempting to breed F5 is failing. Over some 20 F4 female, half of them having berries that are not fertile.

And another half have fertilize berries and not hatch out larvae.

Only found about 10 larvae in the tank.

And some of them shed thick exoskeleton.

The tank water KH 13 GH 12 and PH 8.0

Try breed them in 50:50 Tap RO next
and cross back with F0,F1,F2 and F3 and see if any luck there ?

· Registered
81 Posts
Wow, Shou,

this is SUCH a great thread! It is very informative, and your photography is lovely!

Subscribed!

And, I agree w/ an earlier poster that the thread title doesn't reflect all the in-depth information you are conveying. Very interesting, indeed, and I am very curious to see if the size and coloring differences are inherited traits, or a combination of youth, diet and rearing conditions.

I believe that with fish breeding, often the F1 are smaller than the wild-caught parents. I wonder if that is similar for shrimp? It would be awesome if you could selectively breed a smaller sized lineage of Amano Shrimp.

Congratulations on your successful rearing of multiple generations, and kudos to you for sharing that journey with us!
-Jane

Bump: Oh, and do the thicker shed exoskeletons correspond to the tank where you reduced the salt content to increase the calcium concentrations?

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
I am very curious to see if the size and coloring differences are inherited traits said:
The size and coloring in first and second generation are not that differences from wild caught F0. From third and fourth generation on they’re becoming smaller in size. Comparable to that of RCS in size.

Congratulations on your successful rearing of multiple generations said:
Rearing and breeding multiple generations may ending. From F4 their exoskeletons become thicker, having difficulty shedding their exoskeleton and had molting dead. Their fecundity suffer and didn’t have many larvae to work with.

Working on softening the water and see if any help in aiding the sperm fertilize the berries or do a cross back.

101 - 120 of 138 Posts