The Planted Tank Forum banner

Amano Shrimp or some things else.

24770 137
petco brought Amano Shrimps berried with orange eggs. Never see orange eggs berried Amano Shrimps before.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
You’re right about needed extra false amanos shrimp to try breeding them.
The way I breed Amano shrimp by generation, I may run out of berries Amano shrimp to keep breeding unless I can find a way to increase the survival rate. F1 and F2 are not much different in berries size compared with wild caught F0 shrimp. From F3 on, the Amano shrimp getting smaller and hatch out larvae getting less. Unless they are getting easier to breed, I may hit the dead end.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
Refer to a old video and refreshing my memory about the vid that I took at Sept 11, 2018 on breeding F2 and record where was the salinity level in breeding them.
Bred f2 at ppt 22 to 24.
F3 was similar to F2. Though should be trending lower, didn’t see much different.
F1 ar 30 to 34 ppt.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
After some experiments on the first 3 F4 batches failed. I think I found where the salinity for F4. Sorry, more videos. If they morphed into shrimplets in a couple weeks, F4 larvae may have adapts to even lower Salinity level at 14 to 16 ppt. Wonder where the salinity level for the next generation if there is one.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I don't know how you do it! Finally found some true amanos locally... and the stores had a "buy 3, get 4th free" deal... where-in they *conveniently* had THREE or less shrimp during the entire freaking sale........ (damn COVID hours and working same day as shipments... couldn't get in before they closed) except on the last day, they actually had some left... but I only managed to get 7 in total... so far, no breeding from them... but it seems the YKK's are going nuts!

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Was curious about the dots and dashes... but I really don't think they are the same as false amanos... body shape is just different... that is, the "false amanos" appear "thicker" to me, particularly the females... where-as true amanos are more streemlined. Kind of like the build of a great dane vs a mastiff.... both big dogs, but one is more lean/thinner where-as the other is thicker bodied/bigger boned.

I've also had a male amano in with female false amanos and the false ones never berried up... not until I introduced males of the false variety into the tank.

81 - 100 of 138 Posts