The Planted Tank Forum banner

Amano Shrimp or some things else.

25108 137
petco brought Amano Shrimps berried with orange eggs. Never see orange eggs berried Amano Shrimps before.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

· Registered
134 Posts
+1 But the eggs on mine look black.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Black when the Amano becomes berried, but when 30 days are passed and the eggs are about to hatch they should be a different Color( Grey milky Color) with black dots (eyes). This is my experience I have had with Three Amano females all on second Round of eggs.

· Registered
3,697 Posts
I've found someone who had two females that had yellow eggs... sometimes their eggs were grey, sometimes yellow. Only other person I've come across who has had amanos with different colored eggs.

I don't know the cause of it...

· Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've found someone who had two females that had yellow eggs... sometimes their eggs were grey, sometimes yellow. Only other person I've come across who has had amanos with different colored eggs.

I don't know the cause of it...
The next time can berried to a grey eggs. So it's a Amano Shrimps. I was thinking that they were collected from a different part of Asia. If the eggs hatched into larvae , I will keep half in fresh water and another half in brackish water.

· Registered
3,697 Posts
The next time can berried to a grey eggs. So it's a Amano Shrimps. I was thinking that they were collected from a different part of Asia. If the eggs hatched into larvae , I will keep half in fresh water and another half in brackish water.
Better to do half brackish and half saltwater... or do all three. The offspring wont survive in freshwater though.

· Registered
1 Posts
The Green Lace Shrimp looks very similar to an Amano, especially when younger/smaller, and I've twice been sold green laces in amongst the amanos I THOUGHT I was buying. Only realized when they got a third bigger than their tankmates, and some started to take on a green/blue hue. Their eggs ARE a different color, and there is a subtle difference to the patterns on their bodies if you know what to look for, but the best way to tell is by taking a close look at their front legs. Green Laces are one of the smallest filter feeding shrimp, and have fine "fans" on their front "legs" to enable them to filter food out of the water current. If it's an amano, it won't have these fans. Google both and you'll see what I mean :)

Your photo isn't clear enough for me to tell, but when an amano doesn't seem quite like an amano, very often it's a green lace.

· Registered
3,697 Posts
They hatch out hundreds, if not thousands of zoes.

Someone said that a high protein diet could result in yellow eggs, where-as a high algae diet the eggs will be a different color. Said it's true for Neocaridinas but not Caridinas. Apparently, amanos could be an exception?

Bump: Here's the info...

Jeff - For neos the color of the eggs usually indicates diets. Green for high algae, yellow for high protein. Caridina on the other hand can be an indication of color of offspring

Jeff - Yes true, but not very colorful ones. Their eggs can be compared to neo. Yellow eggs would just mean a high protein diet and so forth.

· Registered
218 Posts
I know that Amano shrimp can thrive in cooler water. What about the Green Lace Shrimp? Are they purely tropical, or can they also live in a cooler tank?

1 - 20 of 138 Posts