The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an amano shrimp yesterday. They were active in the store tank, and were also active in the bag and looked good and normal when I added them to my tank. It's been cycled for a while. I started it in January and it has been looking great with good plant growth. I decided it was time to add an amano and two nerites for algae.

Water parameters are good. Though I think pH might be a little low?

The shrimp looked fine when introduced to the tank after a 30-ish min drip acclimation. But as of this morning they were alive, but not moving. The shrimp is sitting on their side, but are clearly alive, moving antennae and front limbs. The shrimp's color is fine, too. Not pale or discolored looking at all. Is this shrimp dying? Shocked? This is my first freshwater shrimp so I'm really not sure what the problem is. I did a water change, just in case, but parameters were fine when tested a few days ago.

Here’s the shrimp a few minutes ago. They’ve actually turned over now. So maybe they’re actually okay?

water params below (though my testing strips are for my saltwater tanks and only measure the high end of a lot of these)

Hardness ~150-300 mg/L (<300 but >150)
Nitrite/nitrate/chlorine all 0
Alkalinity >0 but less than 40mg/L
Carbonate undetectable
pH around 6-6.4 (hard to say exactly due to test strips for 6.4+ on pH)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
They are probably dying from osmotic shock

Do you use RO water? If so, do you mineralize it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A mix of tap water and distilled. But mostly distilled plus a little bit of marine salt for the trace minerals. Our tap water is rather high in copper so I figured too much of that isn’t great since I found conflicting information as to whether copper is truly toxic to shrimp. I guess a commercial supplement may be better for remineralizing?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Sounds like you have active substrate?

If you do, then ideally you should be using RO water and GH minerals.

I've got shrimp in a tank with 5.5 pH. Not sure if I have any amanos left or not... I had amanos and false amanos in there.... but more false than true, so it can be harder to pick out the true amanos.

It could be the image but the body appears cloudy to me... which could be a sign of bacterial infection/muscle necrosis or something else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it’s dirted. I do use distilled water mostly. So it sounds like the pH probably wouldn’t be an issue. I didn’t notice any real cloudiness. I suppose if this one doesn’t make it I can try again with more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts