The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hii , enjoy reading post in this forum but this is my first post , I thought this was impossible , how can this even happen , I didn't even gave any special treatment just my tap water , I bought amano that already had babies , yesterday near my sponge filter I saw 4 babies , they were so small my camera couldn't focus . Today is Day 2 and they are still alive , will they survive is it possible ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do you have pictures of your adult shrimp and babies? From what’ve read Amano shrimp go through a larval stage at birth and they won‘t survive in freshwater.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have pictures of your adult shrimp and babies? From what’ve read Amano shrimp go through a larval stage at birth and they won‘t survive in freshwater.
Not the best pics but here you go , 1st adult 2nd baby

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do you have another picture of the adult shrimp from the side? My initial impression is that it is not a true Amano. Congratulations, on the baby shrimp though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you , I'm trying they are just so hiding so much I'm not able to get a clear pic but I'm pretty sure they are amano and I'm not confusing them with ghost shrimp. I also don't have a very good camera

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep they do look like the pic you sent me and they are even larger than my biggest red cherry which was not pregnant , only the amano was carrying the egg so I'm sure it's her baby , boy it's a mystery now

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
They are not Japanese amanos... MIGHT be Australian Amanos.... or at least part of the C. typus compex.... but they aren't C multidentata

If they are indeed C. typus or similar, breeding is similar/same to amanos.

Babies will die within 7 days in freshwater.

Sorry....

Check out this thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are not Japanese amanos... MIGHT be Australian Amanos.... or at least part of the C. typus compex.... but they aren't C multidentata

If they are indeed C. typus or similar, breeding is similar/same to amanos.

Babies will die within 7 days in freshwater.

Sorry....

Check out this thread.

Could it be that my water gave some help to amanos ? my tap water is quite hard tds 300+ , I thought they just don't hatch in freshwater will they die even they have been alive for 2 days ?
I'm 110% sure they are not Caradina cf. Baubati Shrimp (if that was what malaya shrimp is)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yep they do look like the pic you sent me and they are even larger than my biggest red cherry which was not pregnant , only the amano was carrying the egg so I'm sure it's her baby , boy it's a mystery now
Notice the red dotted pattern on the shrimp in my picture. It seems to be absent in the pictures of your shrimp. Also the dorsal side of my shrimp are clear, except for where you can see the saddle of the female. The dorsal side of your shrimp seems to be dark from head to tail.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's kind of because bad camera , shrimp does some kind of dotted line and one day one of them was trying to climb the glass , she even got halfway , I though only amano tries to escape which made me more affirmed that they Amano , maybe it's some weird new crossbreed , but I really hope they are pure amanos

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
The water being hard or soft doesn't mean anything... the babies are often swept out to sea where they live in a brackish to saltwater area and after a few weeks and several molts, they become mini adults and start swimming back to freshwater streams and possibly climbing up the side of streams.

This is a macro species in Thialand that leaves water to travel upstream, up to 65 feet a day.

@ash55 PLEASE look at the thread. They are not TRUE amanos but a different, yet similar, species.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it is a true Amano that baby is already past the larval stage. I don’t think an Amano larva would make it that far in its life cycle living only in a freshwater.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you have cherries in the tank Im betting that baby is a baby cherry shrimp looks exactly like one. Amano shrimp babies if it is only day 2 of being released will be much much more tiny like little worms
(picture below is of 3 day old baby amanos)

As for your amanos, from your pictures they kinda look like our Darwin Algae Shrimp here in Australia 😅 but not sure

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you have cherries in the tank Im betting that baby is a baby cherry shrimp looks exactly like one. Amano shrimp babies if it is only day 2 of being released will be much much more tiny like little worms
(picture below is of 3 day old baby amanos)
View attachment 1026862
As for your amanos, from your pictures they kinda look like our Darwin Algae Shrimp here in Australia 😅 but not sure View attachment 1026863
Hii , thanks for your reply, I only have 4 cherry , I monitor them everyday and none of them were pregnant, the only one pregnant was the Amano. Either my water has something, in which case we should really get it checked as we drink it lol or it's a really good Amano imposter

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Could be cherry shrimp for the baby.... possible that the female only had a few eggs.

Markings still look like the false amanos being sold by Petco and some other stores...

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Did you get them from Petco labelled "Japanese Algae Shrimp"? If you did, they like to sell random Neocardinia species mislabelled as Amanos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you get them from Petco labelled "Japanese Algae Shrimp"? If you did, they like to sell random Neocardinia species mislabelled as Amanos.
Nope , I'm not from America we don't have Petco here , just bought from LFS

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Okay, then your LFS sold you a random shrimp mislabeled as an Amano. There is absolutely no way you have a new amano species. They are a first order shrimp so they require brackish water for their young to develop. Their larval stage develops in a level of salinity that would kill the adults, so you did not accidentally breed them in your freshwater tank.

Their breeding process has been documented by the few skilled enough to transition the young. It's very likely you have something else.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts