The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a 10 gallon, and recently got amano shrimp to tackle my red algae. they made short work of it, cleaning the weeks old buildup on my grass and driftwood. but now my wisteria has started developing holes in the leaves.
at first i thought the minor green algae which builds on the leaves was eating the leaves, but closely watching my amano shrimp, it seems maybe they are the ones slowly picking away at the plant.

anyone else seen amano shrimp actually pick holes in leaves?? it's withering my wisteria at an alarming rate. i've got some java moss in the tank, i'd think they'd eat the fronds of that first. they clean the algea off it, but don't eat the fronds.

is there algae which eats holes in leaves? or are the shrimp to blame??
i love the little guys, i'd hate to get rid of them

·
Registered
993 Posts
I think you're mixing up cause and effect. I'd sooner address a nutrient or lighting deficiency than implicate the Amanos, which were probably just cleaning up some dead tissue that was already present.

I've certainly had no problem with Amanos and wisteria.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^that's what i was hoping, i just didn't want to start struggling with co2 levels, nutrients, light cycles, if it was a simple matter of overzealous shrimp!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Amano shrimp do not eat healthy plants. You may have a excess of nitrates which will cause holes in the leaves or some other inbalance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts