The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend gave me some large amano shrimp for my tank and they are certainly hard-working little beasties but they outright steal food from the other fish. The two corys haven't had a proper meal in a week :mad:. One shrimp will grab a whole sinking waffer and take off into the undergrowth to hoard and eat it. I've kept fish for years but never shrimp save for ghost/glass shrimp. Any advice with feeding that will give everyone else a chance?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, it's amazing that they can fit it all in there! :confused1: You'd think that their shells would constrain them a little given they've been eating all day as it is! Thanks for the advice - I'll amp up the wafer dosage. It's not like any is going to get left behind to dirty the tank.

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
Selfish jerks? I'd call them smart. Or intelligent. Lol.

How about breaking that wafer into pieces. Feed some, let the Amanos get their share to keep them busy, then feed more for the Cories.

Obviously, too many Amanos in a too small tank will be an issue, but who's to blame? It's not like they come voluntarily...

I admire them for being able to sniff food from miles, I mean inches, away. Their sense of smell puts dogs to shame. :fish1:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Selfish jerks? I'd call them smart. Or intelligent. Lol.

How about breaking that wafer into pieces. Feed some, let the Amanos get their share to keep them busy, then feed more for the Cories.

Obviously, too many Amanos in a too small tank will be an issue, but who's to blame? It's not like they come voluntarily...

I admire them for being able to sniff food from miles, I mean inches, away. Their sense of smell puts dogs to shame. :fish1:

Survival of the fittest! They do have great sniffers don't they? I started breaking up the wafers and a piece will land right next to a cory and he'll just sail right by it. One of the amanos will come zooming across from the other end of the tank and grab it. It is pretty darn impressive. I'm starting to think the cory's are going to have up their game from here on in. :smile:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Survival of the fittest! They do have great sniffers don't they? I started breaking up the wafers and a piece will land right next to a cory and he'll just sail right by it. One of the amanos will come zooming across from the other end of the tank and grab it. It is pretty darn impressive. I'm starting to think the cory's are going to have up their game from here on in. :smile:
They sure do have excellent sniffers. The only time I can count them is when I feed my discus. 15 seconds after I drop the food they are coming from nowhere to get a portion...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts