The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess i just about had it with my 3 amano shrimp. When it comes to feeding time they became too aggressive towards others. My soft plants are ripped up and today i witnessed an amano shrimp ripping up a leaf and feeding. Most of the damage is done over night. First I thought it is my otto catfish but never had a problem before i got the amanos. The amanos get a lot of food during feeding time but for them it's never enough. instead will get nerite snails.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I don't have problems with my amano eating plants. They do go crazy at feeding time that's for sure but it's one thing I like about them. They are fun to watch. I have 2 of them.

Feed them more plant based food like spinach or something. Then they should be better about eating plants. nerite snails shrimp poop a lot just as much as a pleco I don't recommend them for small tanks. My rams horn snails are the best cleaners ever.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have 6 Amanos in a well planted tank with fish and CO2. Most of the time they pick at the substrate for food-did not see them touching leaves. But during feeding time they do go crazy. I feed them with Spirulina tablets, Tetra pro color (fish food), blanched spinach leaves, etc.

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
I have twenty something amano shrimp and I don't notice a single problem with them. They help keep the tank clean and keep algae away.

You should feed fresh veggies to them. Like spinach. Mine love it.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
i have never had my amanos eat or rip up plants. mine do get aggressive at feeding time. they will each take a whole piece and wonder off with it. because of that i put in one piece of food for each amano.

honestly i have never heard of amanos ripping up plants, or eating leaves that are still alive. i have a few times seen them eating dead or decaying pieces of leaves, but like i said never live leaves. what else do you have in that tank?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've noticed a lot of holes in my plants as well, possibly due to my amanos. But my biggest concern is how aggressive they can be towards others. Today I noticed one of my amanos pick up a smaller live shrimp (rcs) and peck at it. They will be getting their own tank soon!

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I got rid of my Nerite because they "egged" all my driftwood. I agree with Snowflake I prefer Ramshorns also.

I've got 10 amano shrimp in a 40gl. that is planted with Crypts, Java Fern and Taiwan moss. I've tried various shrimp foods to supplement the Algae they eat. I've found Spirulina flakes to work well in reducing the food aggression as it tends to disperse better in the tank.

I'm not well versed on natural habitat of Amanos. I tend to think they don't coexist with the smaller shrimp or in areas with delicate plants. Of if so there are more plentiful and more desirable food sources.

I feel the more natural we make our tanks the less perceived problems we tend to have.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
When you feed them veggie, do you boil them first? Thank you.
Yup, boil veggies before giving it to them to soften it up. Zucchini, Cucumber, or Spinach will work blanched.

If blanching zucchini or cucumber, boil for 3 mins. If blanching spinach, it only needs no more than 30 seconds in the pot.

After boiling, let it cool down a bit first before putting it in the tank. If its zucchini or cucumber, I like to stick it on a fork and put it in the tank. I also leave cucumber or zucchini in the tank for 36-48 hours for them to feed off of

HTH

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
In fairness to the OP., aggressive behavior can be a very subjective observation.

I'm a Dog Owner trainer, I get many calls about dog aggression that typical turn out to be normal dog behavior for the situation.

My larger Amanos will challenge the smaller Amanos. They will try to hold their ground against the SAEs for food but usually retreat. I don't see that as anything other than normal behavior.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have two Amano's in my shrimp tank and they do get aggressive at feeding time. Like other posters, I make sure they have their own little pieces so they can swim away with it. I have seen them ram my Cherries but never do any harm. I have a Bumble Bee shrimp that I have seen charge my Amano Shrimp during feeding time. He is fearless towards the Amanos. And Nerite eggs suck but you can always scrape them off.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I've noticed a lot of holes in my plants as well, possibly due to my amanos. But my biggest concern is how aggressive they can be towards others. Today I noticed one of my amanos pick up a smaller live shrimp (rcs) and peck at it. They will be getting their own tank soon!
are you sure those holes are from the amanos and not cased by a lack of nutrients?

i have video somewhere of my amano during feeding time. i'll try to upload it so the op can look and determine if theirs is acting the same or not.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
okay here we go.

this ones a little tamer
http://youtu.be/FmekMQf16Xg

this one is longer and less tame
http://youtu.be/T4R7mG-DBac

both of these videos are par for the course when feeding my amanos. in all honesty i should probably remove him from that tank, but i don't have anywhere else to put him

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Aquatic Delight - Thanks for posting the videos. To me I don't consider the Amanos aggressive. They don't completely run off the other shrimp, they don't harm the other shrimp,they don't run off with the food. Which would be how I would tend to define food aggression behavior.

Now are they bullies? LOL...O.K. I'll give to that.

While we would all like our fish & inverts to co-exist peacefully that is more fantasy than reality. In pratical application I feel Sp. only tanks are the best or single sp. fish/ sing;e sp. inverts.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have about 38 Amanos in my tank and when I had them in my shrimp only tank they did go crazy when food was in the tank, but the most aggressive I have seen them is picking up Cherry shrimp and throwing them aside so they can get to the food. Funny as hell to watch them. Now in my big tank they hang out on the dark side of my driftwood eating and some larger ones will come out at feeding time to gather leftovers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.