The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I picked up 10 amanos a couple weeks ago, as of today, there are roughly 4-5 I can actually see in my tank...

I'm assuming they jumped out, but I've never found any shrimp corpses on the desk the tank is on, nor on the floor. The tank is covered any time I'm not here at work, and it seems like it would have been hard to miss a shrimp jumping ship right next to me...

So, assuming they did jump out... why? Does anyone know why shrimp jump out of the tank?

EDIT: Its not an issue of them just hiding too well, this tank is not that heavily planted due to recent algae losses, and one of the ones thats MIA was too huge to miss.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've been told that they do OK on the outside. One post stated that they move as quick as roaches out of the water. I'm not sure, behaviorly, why thay escape. Maby it's just instinct. I would say keep the tank covered as much as possible. I have 10 Amanos and not only is my top on all of the time, but I taped closed any openings they might be able to slip thru.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been told that they do OK on the outside. One post stated that they move as quick as roaches out of the water. I'm not sure, behaviorly, why thay escape. Maby it's just instinct. I would say keep the tank covered as much as possible. I have 10 Amanos and not only is my top on all of the time, but I taped closed any openings they might be able to slip thru.
Thanks, I figured I should probably switch to keeping the cover on all the time. I just hate doing it as it blocks so much light from actually making it to the plants... :icon_frow

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
From my own experience, Amanos jump or crawl out quite often. I've seen one shoot up from under the water surface and land right next to me as I was feeding my fish one day. I've also seen them crawl up my filter outlet tubing and also saw one crawling on the carpet after my 1 yo son almost picked it up. I thought it was a cockroach because like Guns286 said, they don't exactly move at a snails pace on land. Best bet is to have a cover, but then I'm pretty sure covers cut down light output so I don't use them. If you have good ground cover for them to hide, they'll be less likely to jump ship, because we all know Amanos love hiding.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From my own experience, Amanos jump or crawl out quite often. I've seen one shoot up from under the water surface and land right next to me as I was feeding my fish one day. I've also seen them crawl up my filter outlet tubing and also saw one crawling on the carpet after my 1 yo son almost picked it up. I thought it was a cockroach because like Guns286 said, they don't exactly move at a snails pace on land. Best bet is to have a cover, but then I'm pretty sure covers cut down light output so I don't use them. If you have good ground cover for them to hide, they'll be less likely to jump ship, because we all know Amanos love hiding.
That does explain a lot. Its just incredibly frustrating as amano shrimp are hard to get locally for any sort of remotely reasonable cost...

·
Registered
366 Posts
What Speedie said is probably best. If you're concerned about light issues and are hesitent to cover the tank, give them something to do. I know you said you had algea issues but caves, moss, rocks, driftwood, etc.., would give them places to hide and search for food.

·
Banned
58 Posts
I've kept Amanos in the past. I must say, they do tend to jump out A LOT. I notice a lot of jumpers during the first week of introducing them into their new home. Normally, after they get settled down, they tend to jump out less.

What you can do is keep the water level on the tank a bit lower than you would normally, just for the first week or so, then after they become comfortable with their new home they will be less inclined to kill themselves.

Amanos...why do such good algae eating shrimps have to make suicide jumps. =(

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I agree with Skrimpy. Seems they look to jump out more during the first week. I've got some in two of my large planted tanks. In the discus tank, I figured they were scared to death of the discus and jumping out looked a whole lot better to them. I still have some in there after many months, but they don't cruise around the tank during daylight hours like the ones in my pleco tank. I only have a small opening across the back of the tanks where the versa hood ends. After the first two suicides found dried up on the carpet, I covered the openings with saran wrap for several weeks. I no longer have the wrap on there. My heaters are vertical so I learned I had to push them down further into the tank. They were making a way too nice jumping pier for the amanos. The other thing I noticed is the berried females still get on the top of the heaters and look for a way to some other place after they've been berried awhile. I'm thinking since the females will take themselves to salt water when it's time to let the larvae loose, they have an instinct to start looking how to get to that salt water from my tank. Only thing they'll find is carpet though.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback, one valuable lesson learned.

I only wish it wasn't so impossible to find amanos at a reasonable price so I could replace those lost before I learned this lesson... :(

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've had Amanos get out by crawling up powerhead cables coming out of the tank and they'd even crawl up the net while trying to scoop them out of a bucket but, I've never witnessed them jumping.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't keep a top on my tank and I've only seen one of my amanos jump out once when I was doing some plant rescaping. I have a pretty densely planted tank so there are lots of hiding places though. The cats were on it pretty quickly but I scooped it up and back in the tank. At least there's a clean-up crew if one gets out when I'm not there!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wish I read this earlier. I got 10 Amanos and I am now down to 6. I didn't know what was going on at first until my wife asked me," What kind of dead bug is this on the floor".
I said "The expensive kind". I had no cover for my tank so I just picked up one with
a metal screen the holes are large enough to let light in but small enough to keep the shrimp in I hope. I need to cut my light back a little anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts