The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Either that or...

My big female's third clutch had very few eggs and since she had had the three clutches in three weeks intervals, I was worried that she was getting exhausted, so I transfered her into the tank where I was keeping the shrimplets from her first clutch... so she could take a break from the boys.
Within a few days after I transferred her, she has lost or thrown out that third clutch. That was about six weeks ago.
Since then, she's just been hanging out with her first brood, happily eating away with them, watching the little tykes grow and grow.
Today, checking in on them, I found her berried.

Those shrimplets had metamorphosed on/around the 30th of January, making them almost exactly two post-larval months old today.
The momma and her cohort were in my peaceful, heavily planted community tank for over a year before the first time I saw her berried, so with a sample set of one, I concluded that sexual maturity took a while.

Is two months old enough for her kids to be sexually mature?
Is it possible that her eggs are unfertilized?
Is it possible that (like guppies) female Amanos can have multiple clutches of eggs from one fertilization?

I guess it's time to get the zoe-rearing tank up and running again!
Cheers!

·
Registered
45 Posts
So this keep popping up in the forum. True Amano shrimp will not breed successfully in freshwater. If the shrimplets are surviving, then the shrimp are not true Amano's.
I have a display tank full of neo's and Amano's and while the neo's breed all the time (seems like they are always berried and always shrimplets around), the Amano's never berry.

To answer your question about maturity. I breed neo's and I have had a nursery tank that got berried females in mid Jan and shrimplets by end of Jan. (Females removed after clutch was released)
As I was lazy with the cull in this tank, last week at least 4 new juvenile shrimps were berried, so 2 months is enough time for Neo's to mature enough to breed, but can't speak to Amano maturity.

I have never had Neo's (to be clear red cherry shrimp and related color variants) produce multiple clutches from a single fertilization event.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For background, here is a post about that first batch:

So, yes: I rear the zoes in saltwater, the tank she's hanging out in is their freshwater, post-larval, post-transition grow-out tank.

But, if your experience with Neos translates to Amanos - maturity-wise and multiple-clutches-from-a-single-fertilization-event-wise, then it sounds like one of her kids knocked her up.

To keep the story going for our interested readers, I was much better at rearing her second clutch, until we went on a short vacation at the worst possible time.

I had learned from my mistakes transitioning the first clutch to saltwater too slowly and so I just dropped them in. They did great!
It probably helped too that I had kept the rearing tank topped up, 35% salinity, well seeded with Tetraselmis, et. al.
At night what looked like thousands would be stirred by the bubbler while they were coming up to the light. They were growing, eating and getting a nice shade of orange when my family and I went on a long-planned trip to the mountains for 4 days.
Worried that they might run out of food while we were gone, I gave them an extra heavy dose of Tetraselmis. Big mistake.
When we got back the tank was dark green and very opaque with not a single zoe in sight.
Bummer: If I hadn't overfed, we probably would have come back to hundreds of just-metamorphosed shrimplets darting around, screaming to get transitioned to freshwater.

In any event: I'm going to set up and start cycling my zoe-rearing tank tonight. That should give it a nice amount of time to develop a good variety of algaes, in addition to the tetraselmis I'll be dosing.
If they live, I'll post back to this thread to see if I notice the same sort of diminishing coloration that shou discussed in this gem: Amano Shrimp or some things else.

Cheers!

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's awesome.

I would imagine the maturity timelines are very similar.

Sounds like you have a nice system setup and are getting results. Hope you post results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update that I'm seeing a handful of the little guys starting to hang out on the walls, looking like teeny tiny shrimp. My limited past experience tells me that this is the first step in their metamorphosis and they'll start zooming around the tank within the next 24 hours, with their siblings to follow. Today is exactly 21 days since I introduced them to the zoe-rearing tank.

I remember someone's post that they discussed doing something to force metamorphosis: I'm going to hunt for that and might try to transition the entire tank to fresh water: There are too many to transition them in batches per day.

I'll post an update with how many I successfully transition.

Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.