The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that ghost shrimp + cherry shrimp is a bad idea, but are amano shrimp hardier than cherries in that they won't get torn to pieces? I'd like to do a tank of ghosts + amanos to experiment with larval shrimp, since the amount of information on the net for both species' breeding is kinda eh.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Amanos are near about the same size as ghost shrimp.... but there are many different species of ghost shrimp so that alone varies.

Amanos *DO* require brackish or saltwater in order to reproduce successfully... that is, offspring, once hatched in freshwater, need to be transferred to saltier conditions... and most people who have had success, had success at, or close to, saltwater parameters, not brackish.

Ghosts, as I mentioned, there are many different species. Thus, depending on species, it could mean that they may require anything from freshwater to saltwater in order to grow into adults. People have successfully raised them in freshwater without needing to move offspring to harder conditions.... but I couldn't even begin to guess what species they've had... only that maybe they ended with a species that didn't require harder water? Or rather, "saltier" conditions?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep! I've got some saltwater and phytoplankton going right now, in addition to some dried spirulina. So I'm ready for the amano shrimp larvae!

As for ghosts...yeah, it's certainly tough bc there are so many species. Mostly I'm wondering about compatibility, although sourcing a ghost shrimp species from the typical "feeder bin" will be hard.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Ghost and Amano look alike, and reach about the same size. The difference is the L shape of ghost, and dirt cheap price. You can get 10 ghost for a dollar, so it’s not worth to breed them. It costs $5 per Amano, so it is worthy to breed Amano except the effort is too tedious to worth it. Takashi Amano has 100s of Amano in his tanks, so there must be cheap sources in Japan. OP has a good question. If ghost is so similar to Amano and can eat algae, why aren’t they be kept together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.