The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought three supposedly amano shrimp from my local pet store.
A week later I have +6 little critters (baby shrimp:) ) in my planted tank.
Is that possible? Their eggs are supposed to hatch only in somewhat salty water.
I guess I should add a picture :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
We have a similar shrimp here in Australia, Caridina NTnilotica (Darwin Algae Shrimp). They will breed in freshwater, however most offspring won't survive.

"It does not reproduce very well in freshwater, however some juveniles do survive. There is no research for reproducing this species however it appears to be similar to some other Atyiid shrimps in that it needs a marine or brackish phase in its life cycle."

AQUAGREEN Fact Sheet

They say that you need marine phytoplankton for the offspring to feed on.

I've got some of these guys in a tank at the moment, including two quite large, berried females. Will be interesting to see if I end up with any additional shrimp, but I'm not holding out any hope.

Here's some info on breeding Amanos :) https://gabhar.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/breeding-amano/

·
Registered
791 Posts
I bread one very successful batch of amanos, and it happened to be my first attempt. I moved the larva to a brackish tank. Got lucky and got an algae bloom (greenish yellow water). The larva fattened up on it real fast and started morphing into little shrimp after 2 weeks, which is very quick for Amanos. The survival rate was amazingly high. Based on my count, every larva I moved into the brackish tank not only morphed to a shrimp, but survived at least a couple months after that (until big enough to go into my main tanks). There were about 45 in total. I figured great, this will be easy. Setup 4 2.5 g tanks with varying brackish levels. Got t5HO lighting to produce algae. Got other food sources (golden pearls, Kents, etc) and started moving the larva into the tanks. I never got the least bit of growth out of the larva. I think the main problem was I never reproduced that algae bloom again, and they didn't care for anything else I fed them. I gave up after about 6 months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.