The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to shrimp, having just added three Amanos to a 15G planted setup a month or so ago. Other inhabitants are 9 neons, 5 white clouds, and 4 harlequin rasboras. The Amanos were added to help keep algae under control and have been doing a fantastic job.

Anyway, my question concerns their behavior. For the first couple of months, they just seemed to do their own thing...constantly scavenging on the driftwood, plants, rocks, and substrate. Over the last couple of days, the activity level of the two smaller shrimp has increased dramatically. These guys buzz around the tank at amazing speed (compared to what they did for the first month) only stopping occasionally to graze. I might be able to make the argument that one shrimp is chasing the other, but that might be a stretch. I've never seen any of the fish pay any attention to them.

Once the algae started to get thin, I made sure to add a few extra flakes at feeding time. It didn't take them long to figure out where the filter blows them, so I don't think this is a feeding issue.

API liquid test kits say GH=6, KH=8, NH3=0, NO2=0, NO3=10ppm, pH=7.8 (steady), and temp is 76 F. 28 watts of T5NO for 10 hours/day, no CO2, no Excel, no ferts. 25% weekly water changes.

Is this behavior normal, or indicative of a potential problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I was under the impression that Amanos wouldn't breed without brackish conditions. Without googling again, perhaps it's just that the offspring aren't viable in freshwater?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
They will breed in fresh water, but the larvae they lay has to make its way into freshwater fairly quickly after the eggs hatch, then they live in saltwater until they go through like a metamorphosis and then turn into shrimp and make their way back to fresh water. So they will breed fine but no viable babies.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Sounds like breeding behavior to me. The good things about shrimp is unless they are being still then you probably dont have to worry. Its when they stop moving you should be freaking out.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I initially had a tank of 3 female amanos and added them to a tank of 8 males...2 females were saddled at the time.

Within days I saw the same behavior, and currently have a couple berried females. Sounds like breeding behavior to me as well. Keep an eye on them and you may eventually see a couple male amanos trying to hop on the females back to fertilize the eggs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.