The Planted Tank Forum banner

Amano acting strange

1316 5
I have 2 Amano shrimp in a 10g. They share the space with Endlers. I love the job they do on the algea but make sure to drop a wafer to the bottom every other day or so to make sure they are getting enough to eat.

The female is BIG and has been berried for a long time now.....at least 2 months.

When I start feeding the Endlers this female goes NUTS. She starts darting around the tank and freaking out. Last night she tried to climb OUT of the tank by going up the filter.

What is wrong with her? Should I feed her more? The male seems content to sit on the bottom and pick at algea.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
When you feed the endlers, the endlers get excited. The shrimp probably senses this and gets agitated.

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?
How many endlers do you have in there? I know they multiply rapidly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I once made the mistake of leaving the opening on the filter intake a little open and woke up in the morning with an Amano obviously dead on the floor. Its typical for them them to climb out of a tank if their is an opening.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I found the amano shrimp has extreme senses compare to fish or cherry shrimp.

WHenever I feed (flake, hikari wafer..etc), once the food has been in the water for more than 3 seconds they amano shrimp would be able to senses it and start going crazy swimming around looking for the food even if tho they can't see it

They fish typically won't know food are there until they see it, and my cherry shrimp won't know until they are only inches away from it.

and she is probably not pregant for two month. My giant amano shrimp was berried for about 3-4 weeks, dropped all the eggs one day(i couldn't find the larve tho), and two days later, she has a stomach full of eggs again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.