The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts? I've kept my neo's alive and my yellows are breeding like crazy, I have a few berried right now and then my reds are just insane...My Carbon Rilis are doing well, when I can SEE them. I don't think any of those have saddled yet but no deaths. lol

I really love the looks of the CRS and CBS's but I'm scared at the initial price point...

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Hard to tell without knowing your parameters. For me I have always had to use reverse osmosis water and add salty shrimp gh+ to it. That might be a step up in challenge from where you are now.

But keeping a thriving neo population going is certainly an accomplishment and I think if you read up on Crs a little bit you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The only thing you need to know about them is basically how to keep your parameters stable and in the range they prefer. CRS aren't expensive either. A-S grades can be had for $4 or under these days. And I have kept all grades and I've never seen any difference in hardiness from a C grade to a high grade SSS. But parameters are key. Don't try keeping them in tap water, especially since tap water fluctuates and is impossible to control (my tap goes from 170 TDS to 400 depending on what season it is). Go with RO, keep parameters stable and you shouldn't have an issue. The only issue I've found is with pH higher than 7.2 babies don't survive for me. THat's for ME, others can breed them in higher pH and have colonies adapted to that.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Yea, don't be too afraid of them. Set up a tank, get some decent substrate and let it cycle. Definantly a,must with anything other than, neos. Keep the parameters stable and you'll do fine

-Chris

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Yes, if you're gonna do it, do it right from the start. Get a good substrate, make sure you have good test kits on hand, good filtration. I do recommend a TDS meter because one sure sign my TDS is cranking up is the white on my bee shrimp will start fading out. Same with if GH gets too high, their white will start looking poor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ro water may not test 0 but rodi water should, And you could take a water sample to your lfs and they will check it for you if you cant get your own right now.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Ro water may not test 0 but rodi water should, And you could take a water sample to your lfs and they will check it for you if you cant get your own right now.

RO should test under 10. LFS won't check GH, KH, TDS which is the most important things to check with shrimp IMO. At least none of my LFS do. They just check for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
RO should test under 10. LFS won't check GH, KH, TDS which is the most important things to check with shrimp IMO. At least none of my LFS do. They just check for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.
Right about the ro, And Iv been to hundreds of fish stores and every one of them that sales di water will test tds for all customers, And if they test for ammonia and stuff then they most definately should test for kh and anything else for you, At our store we will test anything the customer needs tested at no cost and I havent found a fishstore that doesnt do the same, If some reason reason your lfs is telling you they wont test for you then I wouldnt go to that store anymore and I would let them know that, I guarantee they will start.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do have a TDS, when I set up my new tank a few months ago, I purchased one, cycled the tank with good substrate, plants etc before I put my "expensive" neo's in. :) To be honest, I haven't been checking the parameters as often as I should but solely because the tank is thriving so well.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
I do have a TDS, when I set up my new tank a few months ago, I purchased one, cycled the tank with good substrate, plants etc before I put my "expensive" neo's in. :) To be honest, I haven't been checking the parameters as often as I should but solely because the tank is thriving so well.
I'm with you on that one. Only check my crystals, cardinals my neos just get the look over and that's about,it lol.

-Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.