The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just browsing around the net looking for a micro mix without Cu (I've got copper pipes; hard for me to believe my water doesn't contain the minute amount of Cu needed by plants and I like to minimize it for the sake of my shrimp) and came upon Brightwell's Shrimp FlorinMulti which does not contain copper. However, when comparing it to a standard micro mix like csm+b, it doesn't seem to contain much of anything:

CSM+B

Guaranteed Analysis:
Total magnesium(water soluble chelated mg) ......... 1.5%
Copper(chelated).................................................. 0.1%
Iron (chelated)..................................................... 7.0%
Manganese(chelated)............................................ 2.0%
Molybdenum........................................................0.06%
Zinc(chelated).....................................................0.40%
Boron ................................................................3.8%
EDTA - minimum content......................................65.4%

Shrimp FlorinMulti

Guaranteed Analysis (minimum):
Potassium 1.3%
Boron 0.009%
Carbon 0.005%
Calcium 0.140%
Chlorine 0.390%
Cobalt 0.0004%
Iron 0.320%
Magnesium 0.400%
Manganese 0.0475%
Molybdenum 0.004%
Sulfur 0.160%
Zinc 0.002%

This can't possibly be right, can it?

CSM contains, for example 422 times as much boron as FlorinMulti?! 200 times as much Zinc?! 42times as much Manganese?

Something's got to be wrong; could someone tell me what it is?

·
Registered
462 Posts
FlorinMulti is a high percentage water. This isn't some kind of a trick, that's what makes liquid fertilizers liquid. They are more or less the same salts as CSM+B mixed in water.

Even accounting for this the ratios of the elements is not exactly the same (and FlorinMulti has potassium and no copper), but that explains the orders of magnitude difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, of course! I knew I couldn't be comparing apples-to-apples, but apparently my brain no longer functions so I couldn't figure out where I had gone astray. Many thanks for taking the time to answer what I now realize was an incredibly stupid question.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Nah, it's understandable, especially if you don't have both products physically in front of you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts