The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my light, t5ho 4 bulb, running two bulbs in am, 4 for noon burst, then back to 2.

If I want moderate, high, moderate light during the cycle, how high do I hang it?

From hoppys chart I read 30" from substrate. Is that correct?

Bulb mix: each 2bulb bank is 1 6000k, 1 rosette (similar to a colormax)
Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Am wondering how plant's respond to period's of light at lower level's and energy needed by plant's, to then higher level's of light and energy needed during 24 hour period ?
Would seem to me that this would produce energy demand's that would maybe not be as beneficial to plant's as consistent light level's throughout the photo period.
Would welcome expieriences of those who use siesta type photo period.
Smart #$^&* (s) need not reply.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
That chart is useless, watch your plants and adjust accordingly.

Lol, fhart is right.
?????????? second thread reply tonight I found hard to understand why it was posted or what it meant?

Roadmaster,
I use a burst period on my high tech tanks. CO2 maintained via controller (unneeded gadget but I like them). 4x54wT5HO, 75g tanks, fixtures 2" above the tank. 2 bulbs 8hrs., 2 bulbs 3hr burst when I'm normally home in the evening. Beyond this time running 4 bulbs (3hrs) algae kicks my butt. I've had the tanks setup for over 2yrs. this way, moved the photo period around from time to time changing things up. Looking at the burst application I see it as that noonday sun straight down on the water equivalent. I know adding daily additions of trace/Fe with the burst period I feel like I see more red in my plants that express it.

Low tech (non injected systems and less light) I started using the siesta type interrupted light cycle early last year after seeing posts by Walstad on APC regarding the fact it allowed CO2 levels to rebuild in the water column. Others have posted algae has a hard time dealing with it but (IDK) never seeing a correlation on the last one. My tanks are all over the place with light so it's more of a tuning by tank system for me. 2x40wT12, 4x32wT8, 4x54wT5HO and a bunch of 2x54wT5HO setups. Most of my fixtures are raised over the tanks.
4" on the 2x40wT12, 5 1/2" on the 4x32wT8, T5HO are all different 6, 6-1/2, 7 and a single 40B tank I just setup has 4x39wT5HO 12" above the tank. The 40B uses a burst and siesta cycle but is newly setup so (IDK) how that one will work out yet. All tanks are on timers.

All my tanks grow weeds so honestly how tight a control is needed for optimum growth I'm not sure. Based on trimming my high techs not sure how much optimal growth I actually want. LOL I want healthy growth and minimum algae issues so I try to have enough energy for good color in the sunset hygro and the few red plants I have and good thick green leaves on the swords. Crypts kinda grow in any light it seems to me.

IDK if any of this answers anything but it's what I've got here.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Am wondering how plant's respond to period's of light at lower level's and energy needed by plant's, to then higher level's of light and energy needed during 24 hour period ?
Would seem to me that this would produce energy demand's that would maybe not be as beneficial to plant's as consistent light level's throughout the photo period.
Would welcome expieriences of those who use siesta type photo period.
Smart #$^&* (s) need not reply.
That is closer to natural lighting as the sun slowly rises to its highest point at midday and then descends back down. The light intensity the plants receive will parallel the sun's movement.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Thank's for the info, alway's interested in different way's people achieve desired result's.
Can see where this approach would maybe not produce the demand energy wise, on plant's in CO2 enriched tank's, but maybe increase demand for those running low tech tank's where mechanisim's for gathering CO2 would maybe be a little bit more difficult on plant's. But maybe so I should perform expieriment with a couple empty tanks.
Again, thank's for responding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.