The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 36gal. corner aquarium heavily planted running C02 and using Gregs ferts. I have 3 danios, 9 cardinal tetras, and two Otos. I have a pair of Leopard Frog Plecos coming next week and a pair of Apisto Dwarf Cichlids. That will be it for fish for me. Am I OK? Or do I need to get rid of some of the Tetras? My filtration is a Eheim 2126 rated for like 100gal.

Ammonia:0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5
PH: 7.2
GH: 9

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
This is a rather unusual thread because we planted tank aquarists rarely talk about stocking/overstocking. That's more like a fish-keeping forum, and the threads of that type that do pop up once in a while always seem like they belong at a fish forum (where that type of thread pops up every other hour instead of about once a month).

When we do talk about stocking, it's normally in regard to fish we like for the planted tank, or if an artistic discussion (which is kind of rare at PT anyway) it'd be about fish suiting/not-suiting an aquascape.

The only over-stocking threads we see on a fair basis regarding specifically about planted tanks, are about discus stocking. Just because discus are a sensitive fish with regard to stocking.

We almost never have threads about over stocking tiny fish like Tetras/Danios . . .

Ie-- don't worry about this type of thing too much. Like the others said.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Once you have your planted tank going, its only natural to have some fish swimming around. Its the "final touch". I would think twice about those Pleco's though. They're going to eat your plants. When I turned my aquarium into a "planted" tank, my pleco had a field day with anything green I was putting in so I traded him in at the LFS. With a planted tank, I prefer Danios, Angels, Rainbows, Gouramis, Otos, Corys, and other community fish that wont dig up or otherwise damage the plants.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Once you have your planted tank going, its only natural to have some fish swimming around. Its the "final touch". I would think twice about those Pleco's though. They're going to eat your plants. When I turned my aquarium into a "planted" tank, my pleco had a field day with anything green I was putting in so I traded him in at the LFS. With a planted tank, I prefer Danios, Angels, Rainbows, Gouramis, Otos, Corys, and other community fish that wont dig up or otherwise damage the plants.
Actually my gourami is having a field day ripping up my hairgrass and marsilea for his bubblenest ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

L134 is mostly a meat eatter:icon_smil

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
This is a rather unusual thread because we planted tank aquarists rarely talk about stocking/overstocking. That's more like a fish-keeping forum, and the threads of that type that do pop up once in a while always seem like they belong at a fish forum (where that type of thread pops up every other hour instead of about once a month).

When we do talk about stocking, it's normally in regard to fish we like for the planted tank, or if an artistic discussion (which is kind of rare at PT anyway) it'd be about fish suiting/not-suiting an aquascape.

The only over-stocking threads we see on a fair basis regarding specifically about planted tanks, are about discus stocking. Just because discus are a sensitive fish with regard to stocking.

We almost never have threads about over stocking tiny fish like Tetras/Danios . . .

Ie-- don't worry about this type of thing too much. Like the others said.

what u say about not seeing this type of thread often may be correct however you should encourage proper fish keeping too. it IS important if u care about your fish. to me, caring about stocking levels is being responsible. yes you were perfectly fine with your stock. james is right, danios should be kept in groups, preferably 5 or more. otherwise they wil be stressed. shoaling fish need groups to feel secure. go out and get 4 more danios. you arent even close to overstocking.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
what u say about not seeing this type of thread often may be correct however you should encourage proper fish keeping too. it IS important if u care about your fish. to me, caring about stocking levels is being responsible. yes you were perfectly fine with your stock. james is right, danios should be kept in groups, preferably 5 or more. otherwise they wil be stressed. shoaling fish need groups to feel secure. go out and get 4 more danios. you arent even close to overstocking.
This type of thread is not bad, and I never said it was. It's just unusual, and you know that's because there are a number of things about the planted tank hobby in general that usually puts our attention elsewhere. For instance, the fact that having a planted tank takes more time, research and attention than a normal fish tank, so there's generally a certain level of competance for fish keeping before people even set out to do one. We have very few of the type with 30 types of fish in a 15 gallon tank-- thankfully. :hihi:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.