The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And here's the rcs tank.

Again bad quality sry. This one needs some work. Tried doing DHG but it never took off after it acclimated and my trumpet snails dug it up. Having the same problem with the parva I tried as well but other crypts grew well so I'll try again.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Nice! Is this supposed to be your journal? If so, give us some specs! Like what substrate? Size tank(s)? Plants? Fauna? Equipment? Basically everything lol :p

I feel ya on the pics though, I only have my phone to take pics with as well since it's somehow better than all my 50-200$ point and shoot cameras, seems like ya gotta have a Dslr or something to take decent pics :/ no biggie though as we can at least see what it looks like :p

The first tank looks nice and I don't have much to say/add about it, but info would be nice. The rcs tank looks cool but a lil dark, idk if that was just from the camera or what it actually looks like.. For shrimp I've learned it's easiest to just use moss only really, but that's pretty rude of the snails to tear up those crypts :/ had they been rooted for long or just recently planted?

·
Banned
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aye the second is a Fluval Edge with only led upgrades, light doesn't reach the edges of the tank lol.

1st pic:

75 Gal

MTS with black sand cap

plants from left to right are crypts: spiralis, wendtii, parva and some other one I don't know, dwarf chain sword in the middle red ludwigia, a sword in the back right behind the DW (something with fire in the name but I forget what it was) and scattered flame moss. There are a few potted plants I threw in there because I changed my mind and don't know what to do with atm.

As far as fauna, well I'm a little all over the place which is kinda bad and I'm overstocked. Don't lecture me!
There is some type of synodontis (longirostris? maybe) ~8", another that is smaller, ~5" that I got for free which they called an african featherfin, two or three upside down catfish and many corys: sterbai, paleatus, metae, albino, panda? and three line/julii, giant danios, an angel, a honey gourami, german blue and gold rams, a few apistogrammas, two bristlenose plecos, some random platys I saved from being flushed, a few assassin snails and nerites, about a dozen or so otos and for the moment two small tiger oscars I'm housing temporarily. I haven't seen very much aggression towards my other fish from the oscars since I've been trying to keep everyone well fed.

equipment

I've got a fluval 405 and a rena xp2 both rigged up in there with a random powerhead I had and an aqueon circulation pump rated I think like 450-500 gph
for lighting theres just a hagen single t5ho on top with one of their life glo bulbs I found super cheap for like $5-6
I do have a paintball co2 system in there too but I don't run it anymore, plants seem to do fine except I get a bit of algae here and there, doesn't bother me though.

2nd pic
fluval edge 6.6 gal with mr11? led upgraded lights and the stock filter it came with.

again MTS capped with black sand and theres parva and an anubias and also a bunch of random algae growing on both of the pieces of DW. I actually like it though it looks pretty cool IMO. Thats the green you see growing off the top and sides of the DW.
There are many rcs that are breeding, a single oto who I feel bad for and haven't gotten around to moving him back into the 75, also a single SA bumblebee catfish I plan on moving over to a different 12 gal I've recently set up to house a bully of a red tailed shark temporarily and about 4 dozen assassin snails that keep breeding and many many many trumpet snails they keep eating which explains all the little empty shells everywhere you can sorta see in the picture.

·
Banned
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've actually grown fond of the two oscars but I know they wouldn't do with the current fish, or even plants at that.

Hypothetically speaking ... if I did want to get a couple of my own once my friend's tank is ready to take them back, I know I would have to find new homes for all of the fish except maybe a few, and I would have to ditch the whole planted tank thing correct?
Would it be a good idea to get rid of the substrate too? I've heard they can dig and move things around so I would be worried that they would stir up the dirt down there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.