The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ill start things off with a few pictures.

the plants are collected from a local lake. plants were found in 1-2 ft deep water on south side of lake. lake is located in MN, USA. identifications would be helpful along with care recommendations.

substrate is mostly black aquarium gravel mixed with a pond potting gravel. i think it is some kind of zeolite, or something like that.

lighting is mostly sunlight from the window, however i also have a 23watt 6500k spiral lamp directly over the tank for the later hours.

filtration is done with my H.O.T. magnum micron filter. it works really well at removing ALL particles in the water including green water algae. i let the green water take over, to the point i couldn't see 3 inches into the tank. within 20 minutes of using the filter, the water was crystal clear. other than using the magnum one or two times per week, there is no filtration. i do have a air bubbler providing some water movement at all times.

heat is currently at 85 degrees, i really don't like it that warm and I'm trying to work with my free garage sale "all glass aquariums 100 watt" heater.. I'm working to reduce the heat to 78 degrees.

i have fertilizer which i had used for growing green water to feed my brine shrimp. i also have orchid fertilizer.. but right now I'm dosing nothing. i may buy plant ferts in the future.

CO2, currently i don't run CO2, but i am going to set up a DIY CO2 reactor soon.

i do have a lot of aquarium experience, i have kept simple freshwater tanks for 10+ years, and a reef aquarium for over a year now.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
with this setup it might help if you put an inch of potting/top soil under the gravel. It also depends how much sun you're giving it too.. Don't put in fertilizers unless you want green water.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Where in MN you get those from. In the cities or elsewhere

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where in MN you get those from. In the cities or elsewhere
meeker county, lake fransis. kunerd, would you happen to have any java moss or freshwater shrimp? maybe we could work something out.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Gots lots of moss. Im sure some of its java. Its a big moss soup in the 10 gallon mixed with some xmas, java, and others im sure. I can send ya some if you want.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you pass through St. Cloud much?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
an update. this grass type plant has been growing like well for me. so far it has produced 3 more roots and it seems to have new leaf growth as well. which is GOOD!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts