The Planted Tank Forum banner

AM 1000 noob question

624 2
Hi!
I have just bought an Aqua Medic CO2 Reactor 1000. I have noticed that the bps through my bubble counter are higher than the one that go out from the small hose inside the reactor... Is it ok? If yes, which one should I trust to have an idea of how much CO2 I am dosing?
Thank you:grin2:
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
422 Posts
It might be just down to the openings of the different ends giving different sized bubble, which would explain the higher/lower BPS. It could also be a leak somewhere between bubble counter and the reactor, giving you less BPS. I'd do a soapy water/leak test just to be sure.

Using purely BPS to estimate how much Co2 you are dosing is pretty inaccurate. Bubble size can vary quite a lot, dependig on pressure inside vessle, ambiet temperatur, pressure from regulator, orifice of exit, type of fluid in bubble counter etc etc. If you don't have a PH test or Dropchecker handy, you can invert a measuring cup in water, make sure its filled with water, then trickle in the co2 for 1 min and see how much water it displaces. That would be you ML/pr min. You'll have to do some googling around to know about how much you need for your tank, I use dropcheckers to get it in the ball park, then watch my fauna.

Edit: Tom Barr uses 120ml pr min in a 180 gallon tank. So 0.67ml pr min per gallon. I know mr.Barr likes to run Co2 pretty high (in the high 30's to 40's ppm of co2), so maybe start at 0.4-0.5ml/min per gallon and adjust according to faune and flora from there.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Malakian! I'm sorry but I was quite busy. You are right, it was why the bubbles of the reactor are bigger than those of the bubble counter.
I have a drop checker but it's too slow to understand if CO2 is ok when the lights turn on, so I use a pHmeter for that. The bubble counter only helps me to get an idea of how much CO2 I am dosing, but I'll try the cup method as soon as possible!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.