The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I will be trying the alum 1Tbsp/gallon plant soak for 2 days. Do you always use dechlorinated water for dip/soaks?

Do I still need aquarium plant light during the soak?

If aquarium plants don’t need oxygenated water, what keeps them alive other than light and nutrients? Flowing water?

What I am trying to understand, if I took 2 of the same plants, one in tupperware, put light on it, added some plant nutrients and the other in an aquarium. Would both survive?

I understand growth rate will be different. I’m curious because some plants simply die in the tank even though they are hardy.

Common plants like guppy grass, moss, hornwort. Nothing fancy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't use dechlorinator when I dip my new plants. I have softened well water, though, so YMMV. I figure if your water has a small amount of chlorine that shouldn't hurt the plants and may help with your objective, which is killing tiny critters/eggs on the plant.

Here is a good video that includes the alum dip. She quarantines the plants for a month after to see if the dips are effective, so also addresses nutrients and lights.

I think for 3 days ferts and a dedicated light are not necessary. I put my bucket of plants in alum dip outside in the shade of a tree, stirring once a day. In the winter they go near a window. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't use dechlorinator when I dip my new plants. I have softened well water, though, so YMMV. I figure if your water has a small amount of chlorine that shouldn't hurt the plants and may help with your objective, which is killing tiny critters/eggs on the plant.

Here is a good video that includes the alum dip. She quarantines the plants for a month after to see if the dips are effective, so also addresses nutrients and lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psv6ZMcpjR0

I think for 3 days ferts and a dedicated light are not necessary. I put my bucket of plants in alum dip outside in the shade of a tree, stirring once a day. In the winter they go near a window. Hope that helps!
Great Thank you. I did watch that video, must have missed the nutrient and light part, will re-watch. I will probably do
few weeks as well to be on the safe side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.