The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im planning on using alum of one tablespoon a gallon ratio and leave it for 2 days to kill snail pest fornew plants. im planing on getting monte carlo, a few moss, crypt and amazon sword. will myplants livethroughthe process?

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

·
snails are your friend
3,026 Posts
Never used alum for snails. Why do you want to get rid of them? Many (most?) of us put them in our tanks on purpose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never used alum for snails. Why do you want to get rid of them? Many (most?) of us put them in our tanks on purpose.
i just have massive ocd with it. i like snails. but only if i purposely put them there. also i cant control bladder snail or apple snail population very well

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

·
snails are your friend
3,026 Posts
I haven't seen an apple snail in ages, they're federally banned from crossing state lines to my knowledge. Guessing you meant bladder or pond snails? Either of those I see as a net positive in a planted tank, but if you have lots of fish and feed more, they'll put out some numbers for sure. Much like fleas on a dog or cat, it's much easier to avoid an outbreak than to treat one. 3/4 cup of plain household bleach (not splashless, scented, etc.) per gallon of water will kill snails and eggs in about a 2 minute dip. Rinse well in water, then dip in a solution with a strong dechorinator. Once they've established in your tank, it's an uphill climb. General maintenance and manual removal is safest. Assassin snails, dwarf chain loach, or so forth that eat them can help. Competing snails can help too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That looks intriguing. I never knew this substance could be used for such purposes. I will look it up for sure! I never had a good experience with all kinds of insects and freaked me out or cockroaches that my son is allergic to. So, you can imagine how alarmed I am if I see one. I might give it right to the substance and see how it works otherwise, I will have to call again 0480 017 972 from Pest Control in Perth! | Prudent Pest Control is the other sister Mia ready with the mice infestation that the city had recently.

·
Banned
629 Posts
I currently have all my new plants sitting in an alum mix! Hoping for good results.
Dead threads tell no tales. I just put some Alum in a container and labeled it today. How much do you use and how long do you use it for?

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
273 Posts
The channel "girl talks fish" has a whole vid on how to use alum. I am currently dosing a batch now

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Alum works well for killing off snails and snail eggs, following the GTF video's instructions. Minimal dieback on subwassertang, and java moss. I did not test if amano shrimp were able to handle it. If treating in tank, I would do multiple large water changes afterwards in order to 1) siphon out dead snails, and 2) dilute any remaining alum in the water/substrate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts