The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 9 baby angels (now between silver dollar and quarter size) in my tank.

A friend found me wild baby altums that I would like to add to my tank, but I´m wondering if the two angelfish species would get along fine.

I would get 4-6 Altums, take out 4 of my current scalares and let them grow out. Tank is 105 gal, and other fish include 10 zebra danios, a couple of neons (rest are rip - not planning on wasting time on them anymore so won´t be replaced) 4 corys and a pleco.

All angels get along very well so far, don´t attack anybody and I don´t have any dominance issues. I first had 5, then added 4 more and they were accepted without any fuss by the previous inhabitants

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Tank is 100 gals. Although right now there would be over 15 angels I will probably take out 5 regular angels and keep 5 scalares and 5/6 altums, see which ones grow better and ideally keep 8-10 grown-ups.

I currently have 2 marbles, 2 blacks and 5 silvers, varying sizes between quarter and silver dollar

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Altums get really large, easily 12" top to bottom. 24" aquariums should be the absolute minimum, while 30" is highly recommended.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update. I am now the proud owner of 4 nickel size baby altums. They have been for the last couple months in a quarantine tank at a friend´s tank (he had an aquarium shop) and finally I got them today.

Uff looking at them really made me think about my current scalares, how much they have grown! They were also between nickel and quarter size when I bought them 3 months ago, now they are all silver dollar size! Hope the little ones catch up quickly.

They look "weird" compared to regular scalared, with the long snout and the striped pattern.

They were accepted by all my other inhabitants (totally ignored) so I hope that they will all grow up together in peace. As they grow older I´ll find homes for 4 of my 9 scalares, but I want to wait and see who "blooms" the best. So far a white marble, a silver and 2 blacks are my favorites...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts