The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
.. but I don't want a plant that will take off and invade my entire tank.
Having moss take over and invade your tank is probably the last thing you should be worried about, especially in low tech. It really doesn't grow that fast and you just turn off your filter cut off the growth and suction out or use a tweezer. Compared to other mosses, yes java is a faster grow, but christmas moss is fine.

I've had moss in practically every tank I've setup and it's never been a problem. Now if your talkng about riccia or duckweed that's another story.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
All of these can easily take over a tank. They can be managed, but once introduced, they're nearly impossible to remove completely.

hubb2424 -

Any mossylike plant will find it's way into the the crevices and voids of your tank. It's normally not a big deal if you trim once in a while and commit to it being a mainstay. If you want to avoid that altogether, it's probably best to go with some other type of epiphytic plant, like Java Fern, Bolbitis, Anubias, or Bucephalandras. There are also mini versions of each of those that can fill driftwood space nicely.
Love all those plants (my tank is pretty much all that plus moss), but none of those will give the OP the "moss-covered look" he/she is going for without using actual moss. It's just really not an issue especially in low-tech. Maybe avoid java moss, but all others are easily kept up with, during routine maintenance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts