The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i have a post asking about fluval aquasky vs. plant 3.0. but now I am wondering if I should even get involved with bluetooth lighting because it seems impossible - or very difficult - to make sure that, in the event of a power failure, my lights don't go off while my co2 goes on. Particularly if I am out of town and have a house sitter who has no idea how to deal with it. so, any suggestions for a quality lighting for a 55 gallon planted tank that I can plug into a timer so it is on the same schedule as my co2 - even if I lose power at some point during the day?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Smart power strips like a Kasa have done many of us well. You can control it with your phone from anywhere as long as you have internet access.

I personally use 5 x 54W T5-HO on 2 separate lines (2 one the first and 3 on the second) that I can control with my Kasa, or a mechanical outlet timer. I use the Kasa for the CO2 as well but I could substitute a mechanical outlet timer for it no problems.

A digital outlet timer has a battery backup that will save the time and run as normal when the power resumes, a mechanical one will not save the time however it will operate as normal when the power resumes, just late by however long the power was out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nothing difficult about it imho :)
If you use "pro" mode - Fluval Plant 3.0 just continues with the schedule as soon as power restored.
Or another solution - get yourself some cheap/old android phone or tablet and keep it in bluetooth range of the light. It should take care of it. :)
... or smart power strip.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you have a solenoid on your Co2 regulator it will go off when the power shuts off and turn on when it is restored. I have my Co2 on a smart outlet so I can control it through apps like Kasa. If you are gone away for long periods of time you can set up a camera pointed (and they are cheap nowadays) at your tank and monitor it through your cellphone (light and Co2)... that way you won't gas your fish if there is no light.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your replies but I was wondering if there are other suggestions for good plant lights that are adjustable but not run via blue tooth and can be plugged into a timer.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thank you for your replies but I was wondering if there are other suggestions for good plant lights that are adjustable but not run via blue tooth and can be plugged into a timer.
I really like my Twinstar S fixture teamed with the Way-To-Go timer/ dimmer. Excellent light that is fully controllable with up to eight intensity and time settings. Check it out on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.