The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello—I'm just in the planning stages at the moment, but I want to do a 55 gal planted community tank. I was going to try to do a South American biotope, but I really wanted a pair of Dwarf Gouramis, so it'll be a hybrid tank, keeping fish with similar water parameters.

Anyway, I was thinking of a pair of the Dwarf Gouramis, a single Angelfish, a small shoal of Rummynose Tetras, a small shoal of Cardinal Tetras, a pair of German Blue Rams and some Otocinclus.

My main question is concerning the Cardinal Tetras because of the Angelfish. The Tetras could end up as snacks at some point. Could anyone suggest a larger alternative to the Cardinals that would fit in with the rest?

Other suggestions or advice would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
When you say dwarf gourami are you referring to the powder blue dwarf/ red blue dwarf or honey? I, personally, would be worried about the gourami with the angel. Full grown cardinals usually do fine with angels and if you buy the angel as a small juvenile and raise it alongside the cardinals along with heavily planting you shouldn't have casualties (though there's never a guarantee when you've got cichlids).

My other concern would be the gbr. They are a relatively advanced species to keep and can be very sensitive to their parameters. They REQUIRE temperatures on the high end of the spectrum (think never lower than 79° with the preference being for around 82°) and very clean and stable soft water conditions for their long term well being. Perhaps bolivian rams would be a better starting point? They are much more forgiving on temp and parameters (but still by not means a low maintenance fish).

As for other schoolers black neon tetra and lemon tetra were the first 2 that popped into my head but they don't have a much appeal to a lot of people. I also love diamond tetra, but they don't play well with angels.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Black skirt tetras come to mind as one of those classic pairings for angelfish, or maybe that's just me.

+1 on those lemon tetras. They're beautiful little fish.

Aside from those, nothing comes to mind aside from rummynose tetras. However, I think that if you feed the fish properly and introduce it after the tetras (and while it's still small), angelfish predating on cardinals or rummynoses should be at a minimum.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I too would have reservations of dwarf gouramis and angels. Even two dwarfs are dicey, the males can be aggressive to angels and other gourami.

Reactions: Plinkploop

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Temperature incompatibilities with Gourami's and all other fish. Not going to fit in this mix. I think you will find temperament incompatibility between angel and gourami as well- aggression coming from both sides.
The Angels eating the cardinals and Rummy nose? Maybe. Be prepared for that possibility. Ive had some that do and some that wont even eat a neon. Just depends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.