The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for alternative for java fern? Just don't like it that much. From a distance it looks great, but up close it just does not look great. Mostly have it stuck in between rocks and drift wood.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Looking for alternative for java fern? Just don't like it that much. From a distance it looks great, but up close it just does not look great. Mostly have it stuck in between rocks and drift wood.

Thanks
Hi Jim_PA,

Which species of java fern (Microsorum pteropus) don't you like? I agree that the normal java isn't really a great looking species but Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov', Microsorum pteropus 'Trident', and Microsorum pteropus 'Needleleaf' can all look really good in a tank.

Along with Anubias there are also the Bolbitis species. I found the standard a little large (20" tall) and unruly but the smaller forms like Bolbitis heteroclita 'Difformis' can add some nice visual interest in an aquascape.

'Windelov' and 'Trident' in a 30 gallon

Bolbitis heteroclita 'Difformis'

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the info. Java Fern mat (Microsorium pteropus) is what I got, and then put it around my tank. From far back it looks great, but close up not so much.

I really like the Bolbitis, I will have to check into it for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.