The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, another newbie here! i am a couple moths in the hobby now and im starting my second tank (hi-tech). EI dosing sounds like a lot of work so im looking for an alternative recipe for a 16 gallon tank!

tetra10

· Registered
11,717 Posts
Slow release tablets in the soil will feed rooted plants for a long time, and depending on the substrate there is some fertilizer leaking into the water column.

EI is just a starting point. You do not have to keep on following the recipe blindly.
Get everything going well, then start backing off the dosing and the water changes. Go slow with the changes, and give the plants a chance to tell you when you have gone too far. Then you know to add back a bit more fertilizer, or do smaller water changes.

· Registered
13,610 Posts
hey guys, another newbie here! i am a couple moths in the hobby now and im starting my second tank (hi-tech). EI dosing sounds like a lot of work so im looking for an alternative recipe for a 16 gallon tank!

tetra10
Why would you doa hi tech tank if you do not plan to ample work to keep it? Ferts are perhaps the easiest aspect, they all require adding things and doing it regularly, they are no harder than any other method, the REAL work is balancing CO2 and light. Good upkeep and routine care trimming etc.

Ferts, you add them.......no way around that.
Ferts are a fairly minor aspect.

Good frequent large water change routines are hallmark from myself, Amano, Oliver Knott, Fish breeders, good general care. If you want to avoid water changes, automate them, or go non CO2 and slow things down.

As far as simplicity, EI is about as simple as it gets.
Add ferts 2-3x a week with teaspoons, do water changes.
Then focus on the real issues: light/CO2, good general care.
You can modify it to suit fairly easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.