The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have to move my tank... how should I go about this? It only has to be moved across the hallway from where it is now.

Its a 33 gal tank. So, should I save all my water in buckets and then move the tank and stand, and then put the substrate in and fill it back up? But that would be so tedious, but I don't want to go through another cycle...

Or should I save at least some water ( I have two 5 gal buckets), fill up the rest with new water, and I'll be fine because my filter will be the same.

I just don't want to lose any fish. I love my fishies =D

Any ideas of how to go about this?

Oh, and I'm changing my substrate to PFS... so wouldn't pouring buckets of water in kick up major dust? r is it heavy enough that it would clear up quickly?
Also, how would I rinse the new PFS,I used to put gravel in spaghetti strainers, lol, and obviously there is and issue with doing that with sand. :)

·
Registered
828 Posts
With sand I just put so much in a bucket and run water in it till it runs clear. Once you get enough sand in the tank slowly add water and it should be clear withing a few hours .

I would only save about 1/2 your water as there isn't much bacteria in it. It will be in your filter and substrate and plants. Keep your filter material wet and plants in the tank water and you shouldn't have much of a cycle at all. All you will have to do is put in sand, fill some water, add your plants fill with new water that has been dechlorinated turn you filter on and in about an hour add your fish.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Yes, save half the water if you can.

1) Get everything out of the tank first, leave the fish.
2) If you have plants, store them wet. I just use a medium size storage bin, 1/4 full of water to house the plants and some of the fish. Don't overfill, it gets too heavy.
3) get half the water into your buckets and/or storage bin.
4) Net the fish. The less water the easier. Chasing them around the tank for 30 minutes is a lot of stress. If you try to net with a full tank, you could be there all night :)
5) Remove remaining water and substrate
6) move tank
7) add substrate
8) add driftwood/rocks
9) Put a plate, or bucket lid on the substrate before pouring. A plate is better as it won't float. Start by using a large cup to get some water back in the tank. Once you have a little water in, pouring from a bucket will be less disruptive to the substrate if there is some water in. Pour carefully ONTO the plate and it will be OK. DON'T just dump the bucket in...aim for the plate.
10) FIll about halfway with the old water
11) Aquascape
12) Put fish back in
13) Add water (if using a python, add dechlorinator to the tank as you start to fill. Make sure the water tempature is close to the old.
14) Start the systems up.

Oh yeah, make sure you have everything plugged into a GFCI. Might be some water around. And don't tell the wife that you stuck a plate in the tank. Better safe than sorry on both counts :)

Let the fish settle in before you feed them and if its evening get the lights out as soon as you can so they can settle down.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And don't tell the wife that you stuck a plate in the tank.
Hehe, I'm a girl :D I've done the plate thing when I lived with my dad, and hes one of those neat freaks... I had to hide it from him, lol. He flipped the first time he saw me do it, or rather the ONLY time he saw me do it. My mom who got me into the hobby had no problem with the plate. Then I moved out, and figured no more worries, and the my boyfriend saw me using one of our plates in the fish tank and HE had a meltdown. Then his mom told him "You know, theres such a thing as soap..." lol

Yea, I was going to use a python, so I was wondering how much water to save, buckets are such a hassle! But I was definitely going to save some water.

Thanks for the advice!! :) I've never moved a tank bigger than a 10 gal before... actually, I've never had a tank on my own bigger than 10 gal. When I was 7 my mom took care of the 55 gal marine tank we had, I just helped and she taught me, and so the addiction began, lol.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Lymore,

If you need buckets, Lowes sells 5g buckets for $2.34. Lids are a littel more if you need them. I'd buy one and cover each bucket as you move it to prevent sloshing.

Have fun.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
My boyfriend and I just had to move our tanks, I have a 30g tank, I actually didn't save any water other than what I carried the fish in, same with my boyfriend (and he has a 60g). I put my fish in a 5g bucket and then put the media from my filter in the bucket with them (to keep the bacteria alive AND to cut down on the ammonia in the bucket). I put the plants in another 5g bucket, my substrate in another bucket. Got to the new place, put in the gravel, filled the tank, planted it as it filled, set up the filter with the media that had been in the bucket with the fish, drip-acclimated the fish to the new water, dumped them in and VOILA. Everyone has been happy ever since. My boyfriend did the same thing, neither of us had any trouble with our fish doing it this way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts