The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
In my new set up I've been noticing rapid growth of green algae, brown diatoms and hair algae on my dwarf hair grass. I'm dosing fertilizers as well as CO2 everyday. I've cut down on my light period but it's still growing pretty quickly, a few times a day I scrub it off and try to suck up the hair algae. I'm wondering if I should try adding some flourish excel? I'm concerned about it killing my favorite fish though. I tried just a drop of it a while back and it completely murdered my entire shrimp population. They twitched horribly when it was added and then died, water changes didn't help a thing. I'm not sure if it has the same effect on fish, as you can tell I'm a little scared of it!
Thanks -Heidi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
651 Posts
How old is your tank? It's normal to have some algae when a tank is getting established.

I've found shrimp don't like Excel. Though dying horribly with only one drop is unusual. I use it at a half dose on my shrimp tanks, and they seem to tolerate it okay. Fish don't seem bothered at all.

You might try increasing the CO2. The drop checker looks very dark - not the light green you usually aim for. A betta should tolerate high CO2 very well, since he can breathe air.

The best way to deal with algae in a hairgrass carpet is to cut it off. The hairgrass will grow back, thicker than ever.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What is your lighting and CO2 periods? In my 100 gallon tank, I turn the CO2 on at 2pm, lights on at 2:30pm. CO2 off at 10pm and lights off at 10:30pm. So I run CO2 and light for 8 hours but 30 minutes between CO2 & Lights on/off.

How are you diffusing the Co2 into the water? I can see your air line running into the top of the tank on the left but don't see how its being diffused...

You might try increasing the CO2. The drop checker looks very dark - not the light green you usually aim for. A betta should tolerate high CO2 very well, since he can breathe air.
The drop checker could look dark because there are plants behind it.:wink2:

·
Registered
84 Posts
The tank is very new, just set it up a few weeks ago. Usually the drop checker is light green, I just had it off for a day because I was out of town. So should I maybe hold off on the excel and let the tank establish itself? I'll try giving it a trim too . Thank you for your help!

What is your lighting and CO2 periods? In my 100 gallon tank, I turn the CO2 on at 2pm, lights on at 2:30pm. CO2 off at 10pm and lights off at 10:30pm. So I run CO2 and light for 8 hours but 30 minutes between CO2 & Lights on/off.

How are you diffusing the Co2 into the water? I can see your air line running into the top of the tank on the left but don't see how its being diffused...

The drop checker could look dark because there are plants behind it.:wink2:

I start my co2 30 minutes before lights on, I then keep my lights on for 4 hours and then off for 4 and then back on for 4-5 hours. So a total usually of around 8-10 hours of light per day with CO2 running the whole time. I'm diffusing through a small fluval ceramic diffuser.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I start my co2 30 minutes before lights on, I then keep my lights on for 4 hours and then off for 4 and then back on for 4-5 hours. So a total usually of around 8-10 hours of light per day with CO2 running the whole time. I'm diffusing through a small fluval ceramic diffuser.

So you run your CO2 the whole time even when the lights go off for 4 hours? I've never turned the lights off then back on before but I suggest to leave them on for the 8 hours straight and have your CO2 turn off 30 minutes before lights off. Is the diffuser at the bottom or the top of your tank?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The tank is very new, just set it up a few weeks ago. Usually the drop checker is light green, I just had it off for a day because I was out of town. So should I maybe hold off on the excel and let the tank establish itself? I'll try giving it a trim too . Thank you for your help!

Your tank is new, so what you are experiencing is normal.

You can do more frequent water changes for now as that will help clear out the excess organics in the water. Another suggestion is to clean out your filter more, but be really careful doing this. If you have filter pads, give those a rinse but leave the bio-media ( ceramic rings or whatever is being used) alone. You don't want to mess up your cycle as it is still fragile at this point. If in doubt, water changes are the safest bet.

As for the Excel, I don't think it is necessary. Once your tank is stable, these issues will go away.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'd leave the photoperiod as it is. The "siesta" is supposed to help prevent algae, and leaving the CO2 running is kind of the point. The down time is time for CO2 levels to build up.

The tank is still establishing. Just be patient.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So you run your CO2 the whole time even when the lights go off for 4 hours? I've never turned the lights off then back on before but I suggest to leave them on for the 8 hours straight and have your CO2 turn off 30 minutes before lights off. Is the diffuser at the bottom or the top of your tank?

Oh no I turn it off during the break, oops forgot to mention that. Yes the diffuser is at the bottom

Your tank is new, so what you are experiencing is normal.

You can do more frequent water changes for now as that will help clear out the excess organics in the water. Another suggestion is to clean out your filter more, but be really careful doing this. If you have filter pads, give those a rinse but leave the bio-media ( ceramic rings or whatever is being used) alone. You don't want to mess up your cycle as it is still fragile at this point. If in doubt, water changes are the safest bet.

As for the Excel, I don't think it is necessary. Once your tank is stable, these issues will go away.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Thank you!

Glad to help. :smile2:

It can take a tank anywhere from 5-7 weeks before it settles down and gets it's bearings together. Doing a daily water change won't hurt anything if you wish to do them that often.

Just so you know, the Excel wouldn't have helped because the tank would still need time to establish. Also, never put anything in your tank that you are not comfortable with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.