The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought two GBRs from Petsmart and they laid eggs the next day. Over the following few days, the male developed red spots on his body. Today I noticed guts (maybe worms, they were bright red) coming out of his body as he laid on the sandbed. He wasn't quite dead so I couldn't flush him, so I waited a bit. When I came back later to take him out, he was gone. No carcass, and nothing in the tank could have eaten him that fast. I think he went into the thick plants and died -- it'd be impossible to remove him from there without destroying the tank.

I'm fearful that if something eats him, they'll get worms and die, then be eaten, and soon me entire tank will be dead. Is this a rational fear? Or will he just decompose and fertilize the plants? I'll keep up water changes...

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Additionally, there are lots of fry in the tank that may be GBR fry. There are endler guppies in the tank, however these fry seem to have dark coming in on the pectoral fins. They're small and they've been free-swimming for a little over a week. They might be endler guppy fry, but there are differences and they don't resemble any other endler guppy fry in the tank.

If it is GBR fry, they survived by hiding in the plants. The dwarf puffers don't even go after them or guppy fry, they only eat snails. So it's plausible I guess...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Callimanus worms, sounds like. The entire tank needs to be treated. If one fish has them, it's highly likely that the others do as well, even if you can't see them.

Also, NEVER flush a fish that clearly has a parasitic infection. Always dispose of them in the trash.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
+1 zip lock bag and into the trash! NEVER flush a fish or allow aquatic fauna or flora (alive or dead) down the drains, everything in the trash!
Also i'd fish out your dead gbr and take it back to the store it was bought from. Be very loud about how they are selling fish with parasites that will die and infect everything else in a tank! They'll give you what you want to shut you up quickly.
Might also invest in a quarantine tank, having an isolated aquarium for new fish helps prevent nasites like this from spreading (can also use for new plants to catch unwanted hitch hikers and algae before going into the 'main' tank(s)).

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ahh, the dreaded butt worms. I had those infect my guppies when I received a male from a friend who likes to catch wild fish for his tank and cant even spell "quarantine." They will certainly infect the other fish in your tank, if you do not do a whole tank treatment be prepared for many more deaths.

Fenbenzadole (spelling?) didn't work for me, even at levels where it nuked my snail population. Levamisole (once again, spelling?) was the only thing that worked. I got it from a guy online who had very detailed instructions on how it should be used. Problem is, levamisole is also used to cut cocaine so it can be hard to find sometimes. If you see any fish that are clearly infected (they will have worms coming out of their butts... hence "butt worms") you need to seperate them immediately. I put mine in large glass jars. Dose the entire tank, and dose the fish in the jars. Do not reintroduce the fish to the tank until the second round of treatment is complete and there are no signs of further infection.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts