The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I thought it was just a pre-cursor to them molting, but they seem to do it quite frequently and although there have been a fair number of molts, it's not necessarily the one's "itching" that are molting.

Could something be wrong with the water? Maybe a tiny parasite that I'm missing?

Parameters; I'm using Tetra EasyStrips and the Ammonia was tested using an API drop kit. I already know that strips aren't the most accurate diagnostic tools regarding water parameters, but at the same time I'm not trying to micro-manage my parameters to hell and back.

TDS: 256 (Still gradually lowering it with regular cuts of distilled water)
Temp: 71-75 F
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
GH: 75 ppm
KH: 30-35 ppm
PH: 6.5-6.8

Equipment:

Tank: Fluval Ebi
Lighting: 2x Fluval 13w CFL
Filter: Eheim 2213
Substrate: Fluval Plant Stratum

Stock: I'm probably going to transfer the RCS to my community tank once I stop being lazy.

Plants: Malaysian Driftwood with tied down Java moss, Clump of X-mas Moss? Marimo Ball, 2x Banana Plants
Livestock: 13 CRS (S - SSS), 2 RCS, 1 Black Mystery Snail

Terrestrial plant Annual plant Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Plant stem

Wood Line Hardwood Paper Wood stain

Green Vertebrate Aquarium decor Fluid Liquid

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Itching? Describe it or post a video?

The first picture up top kind of shows it...basically they're curling their tail forwards into the main body kind of like how you would see a cocktail shrimp.

I'll try to take another photo after I'm done cleaning up a bit.

::edit::

It kind of looks like they're scraping something off themselves or "itching"

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like they are cleaning their back legs, which they sometimes do or getting ready to molt maybe.
Could it be that they're just getting used to my tank? They seem to be doing it quite frequently...

I got about 8 CRS this morning and before that I had just 5 of them + the 2 RCS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.