The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had in my possession for the last few months an AGA pine stand (48"x18"). I am about to start setting up the tank and what not and i just don't see how the little 1x2's or w/e they use and the plank boards will hold up a 90g tank for any amount of time. Tonight i cut and attatched a 48"x18" 3/4inch thick pine board to the top and bottom to make the stand solid on top...as i am using a seaclear arcylic aquarium and arylic tanks need to be supported across the entire bottom of the tank.

The problem with just throwing some 2x4's in the thing is that the plank boards prevent one from just easily tacking in a 2x4 frame inside the 1x2 frame they have. I don't have a table saw so i think trying to notch the frame to make it fit with a circular saw may prove troublesome.

Has anyone ever had an issue with an GA stand collapsing or am i just paranoid?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I was quite paranoid as well, as I have a 120gal on one of those cheap-looking stands. The guy I bought it from had it for over a year, and I've had it for almost a year now, and neither of us have had any issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You aren't the only paranoid one. I added a frame inside the stand I got for my big tank. Plus it was easier to level the 2X4's than the whole side of the stand.
But they are made to support the weight of the tank as flimsy as they look.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
comforting. Its just we had new hardwood floors installed and i'd hate to see 90g's of water ruin it, yah know, cause hardwood flooring ain't cheap(and its not laminate hardwod either)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
They've been making those things that way for years--I'm sure we'd know by now if they weren't sturdy enough! I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. It's very easy for me to say that, of course, as it's your floor and not mine. :)

For what it's worth, solid hardwood will hold up to a soaking much better than laminate!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, the guy who was installing the flooring is a friend of the family's, has been for years. He built our 4 car garage outback which is about the size of a small house, 2 stories to boot. He gave it a look over and thought it would be fine.

Maybe i just underestimate the strength of wood. I just cant stop thinking about 1000lbs of H20 on the floor.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I have the 48x18 pine stand under a 75G for a few years without any problems. It doesn't seem to sturdy but it held up well enough. I even drilled quite a few holes in the interior of the stand. My only gripe was the pine is soft (as you would expect from pine) and scratches easily. Watch cats and other critters :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Quick note, you don't need a table saw to notch 2x4's, should you decide that route.

Take your circular saw, Decide a depth, and run across the 2x every 1/2" or less in the section to be notched. Smack those cuts at a slight angle with a hammer, it'll pretty much all fall out, clean up with a chisel quick if needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.