Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I went away for a week.
Since i dont have to many fish.
2 ottos
3 cory cats
2 ram
4 white clouds
8 RCS

I got 2 weekend feeder blocks instead of a week feeder block.

Before leaving on Sunday afternoon i noticed my one Otto was bloated and asked some questions about it on the forum.

So now i am wondering what caused the deaths. I am left with 1 otto and 4 white clouds and 8 RCS (who seemed to enjoy the carnage)

Could it have been the weekender blocks? Or could it have been the dead fish in the tank?

I did a 40% water change immediately on arrival.

Any thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
625 Posts
Generally when I go out of town I follow this procedure. I don't feed for 2 days prior to departure. This purges their system. The day before I leave, I change their water. Then I let them fast for the week I'm gone. Since I started doing it this way I have not had any losses while on vacation.

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I go on vacation - especially for only a week like that - I don't put any food in my aquarium, I just let the fish not eat for a week. @bigbadjon's advice of purging them first is also very good.

My best guess would be that the feeding block that you put in decomposed too quickly and that led to an ammonia spike / overwhelmed your biofilter leading to the loss of your fish. You could try testing your water parameters to see whether that was the cause.

Either way, I am sorry for you loss.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Those weekend and holiday blocks may as well include in bold letters, WILL KILL EVERYTHING!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts