The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my power has bin out all day with no word to when it will be back up. i have 2 tanks, both planted... the 29 gal is heavily planted and has fish and snails. the little tank is a 5.5 and is lightly planted, but is shrimp only. when i get home from work the power would have bin out for about 10 hours with no word as to when it will be restored. is there anything special i should do to either of the tanks after i get home to prevent any problems? this is if a problem has not occoured already while i was at work. :icon_conf

·
Registered
754 Posts
plants will help you last much longer than if they weren't there.

if your water heater isn't electric you should do a water change. 50% if the outage goes on really long do one once a day

try to move some fresh water from the tank through the filter every 30 min or so just to help the biological colony stay alive. and don't feed for a few days after the power comes back on so any depletion of your beneficial bacterial can have a little time to catch up.

turn off your Co2 if you have any.

if you can come up with a way to get some surface agitation it would help- if you stop at the LFS on your way home you could pic up a battery powered aerator.

also heat escaping can be an issue- if you don't have a lid I'd put one on while the powers out and some people will wrap their tanks in a quilt to insulate, just be sure you still have some fresh air so that gas exchange can still take place- remember in the dark the plants are putting out Co2 so your fish need o2 coming in.

I can't think of anything else at the moment- I had a 16 hour power outage a few years back and everything pulled through- you should be able to handle it! I'll try and remember if there was anything else i did, and post it for you. good luck!

cheers-K

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kyle to the rescue again! thanks! well since im still at work my filter bacteria are probably dead already. its bin over 8 hours already... i'm not worried about the heat. my apartment stays fairly consistent around 70-75.
its really the shrimp tank i'm worried about, its still a young tank with 2 prego females in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.