The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking to go lower tech. If I set up an all crypt tank and use root medic fert tabs (or any fertilizer tabs) in the substrate do I still need to dose the water column with fertz? Can I get away from dosing the WC daily?

Thanks,
RP

·
Tírëd Äßóût ╦σ RÉ├írë.
4,777 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking to go lower tech. If I set up an all crypt tank and use root medic fert tabs (or any fertilizer tabs) in the substrate do I still need to dose the water column with fertz? Can I get away from dosing the WC daily?

Thanks,
RP
WC dosing is beneficiary: but not necessary for low tech crypt tank.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
This would be the perfect tank for a MTS substrate, and you should seek out "The Fraternity of Dirt" to answer all your question, but it is what should be used with a low tech set up to eliminate the use of fertilizers, and you cap the MTS with what ever you like, sand, flourite, etc. The AS bsmith suggested will also work but may have some drawbacks down the road, but I have never used it personally I've reaf that it turns a little muddy after it gets old.

I didn't even notice but if you look up the page DogFish is a member!

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
This would be the perfect tank for a MTS substrate, and you should seek out "The Fraternity of Dirt" to answer all your question, but it is what should be used with a low tech set up to eliminate the use of fertilizers, and you cap the MTS with what ever you like, sand, flourite, etc. The AS bsmith suggested will also work but may have some drawbacks down the road, but I have never used it personally I've reaf that it turns a little muddy after it gets old.

I didn't even notice but if you look up the page DogFish is a member!
The only AS that had issues with turning to mud were the earlier production bags of ADA AS Ammazonia II. Personally I wouldn't use II. I would use the original or perhaps try the 'new' AS which is supposed to be as nutritious as the original AS and also give you the water softening/pH lowering benefit of the II.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts