The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone been there? it's a bit of a drive, so i'm seeing first if people think this store is great, not just good. also, if anyone happens to have pics of the inside of the store, that would do it. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
845 Posts
It's a great store!! I think there are some threads here about it. Kirt is the owner, really friendly. Great fish and invert selection; in fact, if Kirt doesn't have it, just ask him and he'll see if he can get it for you. Hmmmmmmm...as for pics, I'm not sure. We had a SCAPE meeting there, but I don't think anyone posted pics of it.

I'm in San Diego and drove almost 2 hours to see his store. It's worth it! :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
its got a lot of tanks, equipment and fish. the plant and coral area was smaller but nonetheless nice. its worth a visit.

mark's tropical fish in studio city is worth a drive also.

·
Registered
408 Posts
last time i went, there was a guy named edward manning the store. apparently he and kirt own the shop together. extremely nice guy, and of course the store itself is immaculate. no floaters, tons of interesting fish (badis badis, farowella sp., boraras uropthalmoides, etc), ADA equipment, shrimp (snowballs, bees, bumblebees, tigers, cherries, rudolphs, etc) and a pretty good plant selection.

i'll still be visiting other stores if i want to kill some time, but if all about fish has anything i need, the hour drive there is totally worth it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wonder if Edward was the person that helped me out the other day.

In any case, I also love this store and it's a 30-45 min drive for me depending on traffic. Totally worth it because Kirt and the other person were both great - very friendly and helpful - answered questions, asked questions and offered advice.

For someone like me who's just getting started with planted tanks, their selection was quite nice. Their fish selection (and condition) were also great. Not a huge store, but you know the saying - quality over quantity.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I was there this past Sunday, actually. Great store. :)

Logan, if you're in the LA area, we could carpool some weekend if you wanna head out there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the invite, but i headed out there a couple weeks ago. i liked the store (bought some real nice fish), but i have to say there were quite a few dead fish in the tanks. the planted tanks also looked like they were suffering from a lack of water changes and ferts. i hope this doesn't come across as a negative post, because i do like the store and will return (love the rare fish) but i also think it's important that people don't get the idea that it's the holy grail of l.a. area stores. well, actually, it might be. but only because the stores out here are mediocre at best. shop owner was super nice though, and the place had a nice 'vibe'.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I saw a few dead fish too, not many. I only saw three planted tanks. One AquaPod, one large tank in the front by the couch, and one other one on the right...none looked too bad to me. Their stock wasn't as I hoped since they didn't have anymore green flame tetras or espei rasboras or any dwarf cory cats. I'll check back later for them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
He has four planted tanks. One right next to the counter... This one is kind of low maintenance few plants. Then their is one on the ledge across from the counter. This is I believe a 6g aquapod type tank... I really like this one the moss looks cool creeping down the wood. The other two tanks where mistreated, on accident by one of the employees while Kirt was away. A couple weeks ago, I don't know how they have recovered lately. It set the ADA tank back quite a bit and the big tank just didn't look good. I personally haven't seen any dead fish. Was Kirt their when you where there/ when you where there.

I will admit its not perfect but as far as planted tanks go no one in LA(that I know of) has shown a sincere effort to carry ADA products and give a serious attempt at keeping large planted tanks with more than the basic boring plants, other than him. He is human though and his store is rather poor in the saltwater department, but it is improving with 2 big show tanks and a smaller aquapod. The store is also no that big. I mean it has a lot of tanks and a lot of fish but for hardware he has all the stuff for a planted tank but sometimes not the variety that some stores have. I was able to choose between a Mini M and a 30cm cube which was a bit of a shocker to me. I walked out with a Mini M but I was just a little surprised he had both tanks I was considering. I don't think He plans on stocking large amounts of ADA tanks at a time but I am sure he can get them for you.

I have talked to him quite a few times and I bring in plants occassionally just when I stop by. He gives me a few free fish or shrimp. I love the feel of his store versus some of the other LFS near me that seem to be a rush to get on with the store instead of taking the time to talk and get you what you want.

He also carries some of the coolest fish in my area. I became an Apistogramma fan about a year and a half ago and I wanted apistos. I was a bit shy at the time and was a bit to timid to ask for the lfs to special order some. I instead bought some from aquabid. Very happy with them but now that All about fish is here. I can now buy them locally. He has had atleast two different species of Apisto every time I have gone. They aren't cheap but still cheaper than over night shipping a few fish like I did. He also has some cool plecos and their L numbers so you really know what your buying.

I don't think I will buy fish from anywhere else locally in the near future. I think All about fish can only improve. I may be a little biased because he has carried the things I am looking for in a fish store. To each is one.

Its only been open a little more than a year and I hope it sticks around for many years to come.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just went here and was certainly impressed. The biggest gripe i have about going to LFS is that nothing is ever different nothing is different everything you find at one you'll find at another. And if you do find something if you don't buy now you don't see it again.

So when I finally found this place i was really impressed with a few things I hadn't seen anywhere. Like some Axelrod Rasbora (blue) and some dwarf Hastatus Cory. The prices werent bad at all their. I will certainly be moving this up on my list of places to visit when I feel the need to browse for fish. They also had crystal red shrimp. and some beautiful Scarlet Badis.

Strictly Fish lately has seem to be lacking in the selection lately.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I was there friday no snow balls. they had green, tiger, Amano, and cherry. Haeun I almost went to AW in SD but I got there 30min after they closed. Ive been goin to Filipes for pizza across the freeway for years and never was aware AW was across the street. I visit SD about once a month. I dont know how often you visit AW but if you dont mind can i PM you before I go to SD and maybe you can tell what you saw on your last visit.. I have some UCSD buddys over there.

·
Registered
452 Posts
No problem, would be glad to do that. I visit AW about once a week, but I can write down a list of livestock/plants for you if you tell me when you're coming down.
Amazing place, love it as much as I do AAF. Now, if they would just start carrying ADA... :icon_twis

·
Registered
82 Posts
didn't see any ada stuff

Hi guys I stopped by this past week and they do have a great selection of fish but I didn't see any ADA stuff. Being from Hawaii I was hoping to p/u some stuff to take back home. I'm in Long Beach while one of our airplanes get repaired at Gulfstream. I did however find another store call Strictly Fish which had some awesome stuff.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Strictly fish has a lot of cichlids and decent salt water. The plants are rather limited and their planted accessories or not the best. I actually haven't been there in a little while so maybe they have improved.

All about fish must have sold out of all their tanks and substrates. Thats really the only ADA products I have seen there.

Last time I was there they still had the 90cm ADA Tank setup that you can atleast look at too see an ADA tank in person.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts