The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a Hagen natural plant system canister that i don't use and i was wondering if instead of using yeast for Co2, i could fill the canister about half-way with water and drop like 4-5 alka seltzer tablets, close the canister and hook it up with the diffuser-ladder.

Would it work? Has somebody done it?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You would get a big blast of CO2, for a minute or two, then it would drop way down to a bare trickle, and in a day it would produce no CO2 at all. Remember, you only need 2-4 bubbles per second, at most, so compare that to the CO2 production you get from even one AlkaSeltzer tablet. And, you can't store the extra CO2 either, short of rigging up a leakproof balloon to accept it.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
if you have a regulator or a needle valve to slowly release the gas build up, it could work. And the container needs to be air tight and will stand up to some pressure. You probably want to add a cup full of alka seltzer. And don't add the seltzer straight into the tank. ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thanks for the replies

It was just an idea, i got tired of the fungus-thing of the yeast co2, even using an external bubble counter i could not get rid of it, and cannot afford a pressurized co2 at the moment

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Ok, thanks for the replies

It was just an idea, i got tired of the fungus-thing of the yeast co2, even using an external bubble counter i could not get rid of it, and cannot afford a pressurized co2 at the moment
Put a bleach solution in your bubble counter. I used a capful of bleach, and about a cup of water. This was using a 16 oz gatorade bottle as my bubble counter. No more fungus in the tank.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Now that we're going to the absurd, I'd guess that Baking Soda + Vinegar would give better results than Alka-Selzer + Water. It would sure be a lot cheaper. Still doesn't solve the consistancy issue. If you could use an automatic dosing pump to put vinegar into the baking soda you could get your consistancy but at that point it'd probably cheaper to use a pressurized system.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You could also buy dry ice and find a way to capture the CO2 gas and hold it under pressure. But, the risk to life and limb might make that one a bit iffy. And, you would still need the regulator/needle valve that a regular pressurized CO2 system uses.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
You could also buy dry ice and find a way to capture the CO2 gas and hold it under pressure. But, the risk to life and limb might make that one a bit iffy. And, you would still need the regulator/needle valve that a regular pressurized CO2 system uses.

Not to mention the pressure vessel to hold all the gas as a reasonable size....

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
thanks a lot, it was just an idea i had, maybe i'll try diy co2 again, but it's too much hassle, and a pressurized co2 for a 2.5g is not worth it
I'm using a 10lb pressurized system on my 2.5g nano :D

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
I'm using a 10lb pressurized system on my 2.5g nano :D

Lasting you how many years on one fill???? :red_mouth How do you hide that thing! I was thinking about a 10lb on my 75 but it wouldn't fit under my tank..... I have a 5lbs now(no complaints)but bigger would be nice. Almost the same price to fill a 5lb tank and/or a 10lbs tank around me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Lasting you how many years on one fill???? :red_mouth How do you hide that thing! I was thinking about a 10lb on my 75 but it wouldn't fit under my tank..... I have a 5lbs now(no complaints)but bigger would be nice. Almost the same price to fill a 5lb tank and/or a 10lbs tank around me.
yea 5lb-20lb tank refills are only a few bucks difference(20-25 dollars). I think a 20 lb tank cost around 240 bucks(that is a full one). I was at the welding shop today picking up supplies and asked about bottles and refills. It's just the initial cost of the tank that gets ya. He said to try and find used bottles to save a boatload of money. So the 20lbs would be more economical in the loooooong run lol. Wonder how long that puppy would last on my 20 gallon. That's a lb per gallon lol.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry for coming late to the party, but I only just noticed this thread. The alka seltzer (or something very similar) tab for CO2 production idea has been done. I was one of I think only a few people to buy this product when CO2 injection was just becoming popular (at least as far as I knew).

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/11114/product.web

If you haven't seen this before, it is literally exactly like dropping alka seltzer into a closed container with airline tubing hooked up to an upside down container that is suction cupped to the back of the aquarium. It was actually pretty neat. Not a very reliable method of dosing CO2, but a cool idea nonetheless.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=6318

Joe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.