The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.

I have been keeping planted tanks for ages and for the first time I have black bush algae in my tank and some others I don't recognize either. All started after I neglected to bleach dip a new plant.

I want to now take plants, put them in bucket, Put ALGAWAY 5.4 in the tank for a couple of days. Then reintroduce plants after I have bleach dipped them.

I think this might take care of the hair/bush and other weird algae. Problem is that I have Flourite substrate. I am scared that the flourite will absorb the algaway and kill the plants after I reintroduce them?

Anyone have experience with problem such as this? Or any othe solution to my problem (even if it means redoing aquarium, but that still wont kill algae in substrate)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,350 Posts
While I haven't used Algaway, it appears to have the same active ingredient as Algaefix; which I have used.

Algaefix is plant safe. But definitely not safe for shrimp, and it may be possible that it soaks into a porous substrate enough to later affect them, even if the shrimp are removed for the duration of treatment.

It can sometimes kill fish too, speaking from experience. So I don't recommend using it in a tank with any kind of livestock.

If you have algae growing from the substrate and are really determined to nuke your tank, here's what I'd suggest:

1) Remove livestock to one bucket.
2) Remove plants to another bucket.
3) Remove all filter media to a third bucket. Make sure they're covered with tank water, or dechlorinated tapwater, so they don't dry out.
4) Add 1/2 cup 3% hydrogen peroxide for each 10G of tank capacity. Run the filters to circulate the water for 30 minutes.
5) With filters still running, perform at least three 100% water changes to remove the peroxide. Make sure the peroxide is flushed out of the filters during this time.
6) Replace livestock and filter media.
7) Monitor ammonia levels for a few days, as the only remaining biofilter bacteria is in the filter media. This is usually enough to prevent a noticeable mini-cycle, but your results may vary; so better to check.

Hopefully, all that's left now is the algae on the plants. You can perform a bleach dip if you like.

But Algaefix has so far worked very well for me as a plant dip, without the damage to plants bleach can cause. Three days at the recommended dosage, which for Algaefix is 1ml per 10G.

For a 5G bucket, that's only 0.5ml, which is hard to measure. So instead measure 1 tsp. (5ml) into 9 tsp. of water. Each tsp. of the resulting solution now contains 1ml of Algaefix, so 1/2 tsp. will treat a 5G bucket. Save the rest of the solution in an opaque plastic bottle for future dips.

Rinse plants before returning them to the tank.

Whatever you end up doing, check and modify your tank parameters so that they are no longer favorable to algae growth. Even a tank nuke is not a guarantee, and algae will eventually be reintroduced at some point no matter how cautious you are. Fix the underlying problem and a little algae won't rapidly explode into a massive problem, so you can instead successfully deal with it by trimming and spot treatments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My tank parameters are usually good. and I don't usually struggle with algae. Except this bushy stuff I have never seen before. Really cross with myself for not bleach dipping that one plant before putting it in my tank.

Had 4 Ottocynclus that I have moved to other tank. So I dont have to worry about livestock for a while. Will put some Siamese Flying Foxes in in about a months time.

quick question. Will the hydrogen peroxide not cause some funny reaction with the substrate?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,350 Posts
It's important to understand how it's rendered harmless.

As peroxide reacts with organic material, it breaks down into harmless water and oxygen.

But if all the easily reactable organic material is consumed, any leftover peroxide can remain for quite a while.

1/2 cup per 10G should be enough to deal with any algae in the tank. Yes, you can increase it if you want to make darn sure, but be very thorough with the water changes and/or increase the number. It's hard to get the last bit of water out of a tank with substrate.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top