The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picture one shows DW with Brown(diatom) algae and a green algae I can't identify.

Pics 2 and 3 show the Brown algae on my substrate.

What is the green algae(I know I need to raise the light and am just curious about what this kind of algae is)?

What is the standard age for a tank to not be considered "new" and typically is past the point where brown algae is common? My tank has been up and running about 6 weeks and my parameters are:

135Gal Lit with Odyssea 72" 320watt T5 on glass tank cover. Light cycle is 10 hours.

PH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0.0ppm
Nitrite: 0.0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
Drop checker is yellowish green.
50% water changes done bi-weekly.

The only factor I can believe to be the culprit for the brown algae would be the silica in my substrate. Would the silica alone be enough to cause this or am I missing something?

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
T5 lighting raised 8" from top of tank, light cycle reduced to 7 hours
Flourish recommended dose after water changes, dry ferts have not come in yet
Water changes will be reduced to 30% Bi-Weekly

Plants in tank:

Dwarf Sag x 15
Caboma Fructa x 2
Hygro Difformis x 2
Java Fern x 1
Corkscrew Vals x 10
Narrow Leaf Anacharis x 10
Japanese Fan x 6 (yes I know they are not aquatic and will be removed when new plant shipment arrives)
Echinodorus palaefolius(sword) x 1

Plants in the mail to be added:

Nymphea maculeta(red tiger lotus) x 1
Limnophilia hippuroides(hippo grass) x 2
Mermaid Weed x 2
Foxtail x 2
Dwarf Sag x 25

Still wanting to know what kind of algae the green stuff is and is my tank still considered "new" after 6 weeks of operation?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
With that size of a tank, your wallets going to be buring buying all that Flourish. Look into Dry Ferts.

Also get yourself a couple of water-sprite to consume some of the excess nutrients.

Can we get a FTS of that beast.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With that size of a tank, your wallets going to be buring buying all that Flourish. Look into Dry Ferts.

Also get yourself a couple of water-sprite to consume some of the excess nutrients.

Can we get a FTS of that beast.
I am assuming FTS stands for Full Tank Shot?

Dry ferts are def on the agenda but I don't know who I should buy from.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YEAP...FTS

Looks good....What is the plant in the center BACK..Looks like an Umbrella Palm?

I would put 2 water-sprites in the corner with the wood...give it a nice BUSHY effect. JMO
It is some kind of non-aquatic BS my wife bought at Petco. I am going to replace it with a red tiger lotus when my shipment comes in.

Far left side of the wood near the front of the tank will have Java Fern attached at the bottom, Behind the wood in the back corner is getting some hippo grass, and the right side of the tank will get some foxtail and mermaid weed and I also have 25 more dwarf sag coming in to try and get the bottom carpeted faster.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.