The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new type of algae! Woo hoo. I have gone through all kinds of algae with this tank. Diatom,hair, green spot?(Currently have this too). One day I will find the proper balance. I am pretty sure that my lighting is too high while the fertz and or diy co2 are too low. I am ordering a dry fert mix next week and hope to have all the stuff for a paint ball co2 system by the end of november. One day I will find balance. Any way, sorry to ramble! Can some one I'd this algae? Also if/when I get a good balance going will the green algae die off? I've tried scraping it off the leaves but it won't budge. I'v had the same problem with this new algae. Thanks in advance. Water Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Flower

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
If you're talking about the string-like algae, then it's Staghorn Algae. Best way to kill that stuff is to increase your CO2 levels and add flourish excel. If you squirt the excel directly on the algae with a pipette, it will be much more effective. You'll know it's dying when it turns red, like most algae. You should notice the color change within 24-48 hours, maybe a bit longer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.