The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to create something beautiful out of algae, the scourge of the aquascaping world?
I ask because I have a 12gal. JBJ nanocube with 48W of lighting (it used to be a nanoReef) and i havn't tried to plant it for fear of an inevitable algae outbreak.
But what if rather than fear the algae, I embrace it, and attempt to create an aquascape of algae?
I think this tank might be the perfect environment to attempt such an experiment.
Any and all thoughts are welcome.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Believe it or not i have! In my five gallon, before the java moss it was coated in hair algae i believe, and i just trimmed it up so that it covered the driftwood like a moss. It actually looked really good, however it made the tank hard to clean...

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had my box filter absolutely covered in a couple inches deep staghorn algae back in the day and it looked pretty good. The algae didn't grow anywhere else. It eventually disappeared though...

There are also some nifty macro algae like Charra and Nitella sp that you can check out.

Charra is like mini hornwort. Granted Charra is hard to find in stores. ...I got mine from the wild. I don't have any right now though. I think my image is broken because I can't see it.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
look to sewingalot's threads, she plays with algae.
on vacation from the forum right now but she has grown a bunch of green tanks LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.