The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I tried all of that (except 1-2 punch). Didn't work. Spiro's very resilient.
Indeed it is. The spiro that was on my anubias's roots seem to have died, and some spiro has died, but we will see. Honestly the fact that it killed the hydra in my tank=awesome. I will say the spiro doesn't look as happy today though, it is starting to lose some color. Going to be doing a good sized water change today, and then dose again. I don't want to have an ammonia spike from dead algae, that just ends up causing another spiro outbreak, cause that would suck. I want to try and get as much of the dead algae out as possible, but I think once the Algaefix is completely out of the tank (lots of carbon plus my recharging purigen), I might get a handful of Amanos just to get anything it may have missed.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Alright so I have a new update. Some of my Spiro is starting to turn white/grey, but to be honest, it's just sort of laughing at the Algaefix. I've been dosing 14 drops of it (as the bottle suggests), every 3 days, and doing water changes every day (approx 4 gallons). My moss and Anubias could careless about the Algaefix, if it matters. I think I'm going to give this another 2-3 doses, and say screw it and get some Amanos once the Algaefix clears out of the tank.

My ammonia is testing .5ppm before water changes, which I can only assume is from algae/hydra dying, but who knows. I did remove most of my filter pads though, and put them in the 40 gal filter to keep it all relatively cycled so I can toss the filter pads after algaefix is gone. I am also considering doing a full blackout for a few days again, while algaefix is going, to see if it helps.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
From what I was gathering, people were doing water changes every day, but the bottle says nothing about them. Though I personally figured with the ammonia spikes I was getting testing the water, I should be. Should I completely stop the water changes?

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
Is your tap water chloriminated? If so, that can account for the ammonia (usually around .25-.5ppm) as chloramines = chlorine+ammonia. The dechlorinator should bind to it, rendering it harmless, but it will still read positive.

I would stop doing water changes.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Is your tap water chloriminated? If so, that can account for the ammonia (usually around .25-.5ppm) as chloramines = chlorine+ammonia. The dechlorinator should bind to it, rendering it harmless, but it will still read positive.

I would stop doing water changes.
There's chlorine, but no chloramines according to latest water report. I'll stop doing water changes and just let the treatment run it's course.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts