The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm just wondering what type of algae this is (bottom right corner).

Tanks been set up for about a month or so using a 18 inch Marineland Light for 8 hours a day. (Low light)

I got a 24inch Finnex 24/7 about a week ago with it then i started to notice this brown algae.

Is it because i went from 8 hours of light to 5/6 due to the marineland? I just added on the Marineland again to help compensate for some of the light loss.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
618 Posts
So i'm just wondering what type of algae this is (bottom right corner).

Tanks been set up for about a month or so using a 18 inch Marineland Light for 8 hours a day. (Low light)

I got a 24inch Finnex 24/7 about a week ago with it then i started to notice this brown algae.

Is it because i went from 8 hours of light to 5/6 due to the marineland? I just added on the Marineland again to help compensate for some of the light loss.

Thanks

more plant mass to combat that algae...fast growers and/or just add a ton of plants to the tank to help eat all the nutrients in the tank...check the for sale and roak pages i know people are selling a ton of plants right now and maybe you can win some too!!! moss is a slow grower so honestly i would wait to have both types of lights on now just so you dont have to heavily deal with algae

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ooo thats too much nutrients algae? i looked online and it said it was too little light algae. LOL thus why i turned on the 2nd light. Ok thanks a bunch

·
Registered
618 Posts
ooo thats too much nutrients algae? i looked online and it said it was too little light algae. LOL thus why i turned on the 2nd light. Ok thanks a bunch

Algae happens when things are off balanced...as in lighting, nutrients, factors such as that, that aren't being consumed by any thing...algae is always in the tank but not as noticeable or there's very very little that you just don't notice...

·
Planted Tanker
5,995 Posts
Looks like diatoms, common in a recently established tank. Usually will run it's course and disappear on it's own under good conditions, couple weeks, etc. Having a lot more plants would certainly help.

·
Registered
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,329 Posts
Looks like diatoms, common in a recently established tank. Usually will run it's course and disappear on it's own under good conditions, couple weeks, etc. Having a lot more plants would certainly help.
I agree the brown tinge usually means diatoms

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts