The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does an air stone which goes on after Co2 goes off cause algae? I keep getting staghorn only on the side where my airstone goes on.. coincidence? Maybe?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
You asked this question a while back. No. An airstone is not what is causing algae. Your airstone is essentially breaking the surface tension of the water to release the co2. It’s not providing additional dissolved o2 or anything like that, however it is aiding in gaseous exchange at the surface of the water. I imagine when it runs you have organic waste that gets kicked up or maybe settles near by because of the little current it creates in the aquarium. That may be why you are seeing it nearby. However, again. Not the cause of your staghorn algae. Circle back to the thread you posted earlier. Many causes of staghorn. Organic waste, which can come from a number of things, including over feeding, combined with light (high or low) can give it life. The more light intensity and duration over time will increase it’s growth. Reduce the light, remove the algae you see and take a look at the rest of your tank and your plant growth. You will usually see it on slower growing plants and if you have a real issue, it will show up on filter pipes, glass, decorations etc. When it gets to that level you need to reexamine your setup and make some informed adjustments. Best, el g

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.