The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - New to planted tanks -

I have algae starting to grow - What should i do - Add more plants?

Pics Here - http://picasaweb.google.com.au/adriaanvh/AlaeControl

I have CO2 going injection - Keeping PH around 6.80.

Lighting is 2 x 6k 150wt MH lamps 400 mm from the water top (glass lid on one side).... 12 hours a day 11am to 11pm

Tank is around 4x2x2 with 4x1x1.5" sump. (total 600lts)

Around 30-40 fish (tetra's and Cats)

Pics here of tank - http://picasaweb.google.com.au/adriaanvh/FreshWaterPlantedTank

All input appreciated...

Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
New tank and all you are bond to get some sort of algea happening,crank up the CO2 alittle.

I had a look through your pic,By the looks of it you a few terestial plants in there, one looks like a purple waffle,the other a i think a japanese rush the white and green thin leaf one.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Read Rex's guide. You will learn a lot. Change 50% water every week. Lower your light time to maybe 8 to 10 hours a day. Get some good ferts from Rex and start the EI method of fertilizing. Make sure you have good water movement but not to break the surface. Keep your tank clean, remove all decaying debris etc. This is only a start.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Hi - New to planted tanks -

I have algae starting to grow - What should i do
Aaaahhhh the age old question.

First take JoeTee's advice to start. Then Welcome to the hobby! Finally read Rexx's guide.

Sounds like you have a nice setup. If you start out slowly with the right plants you'll get hooked on this hobby like no other.

As far as ferts go not sure what's in the Dupla stuff but Aquacare is only the micronutrients for your plants. You'll need to provide the macros - N,P,K. Nitrogen/Potassium via KNO3 and Phosphate via KH2PO4. You can add additional potassium via KCL if needed. That's for starters.

This board is a wonderful source of any info you will ever need in this hobby. So check in often.

·
Registered
663 Posts
From your set up pictures I can see you definitely need more plants. That'll make it easier. You might get some algae eaters; Otocinclus are good. Focus on making the plants happy and the algae problem will solve itself. :icon_wink

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.