The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Aqueon Evolve4 that has been running for a few months and have some brown algae growing on the walls of the tank. What do you use to scrape off algae in an acrylic tank?

I have used the Mag Floats on my glass tanks, but I'm not sure if they are safe to use on acrylic tanks so I don't want to risk it. I've tried using a soft toothbrush and it works, but I don't want to stick my hand in the tank if possible

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Dan - I use the white scubber pads they sell at PetSmartCos. If you have access the white buffer pads used to polish waxed tile floors are the same density. They have a 3" center knock-out that typically tossed out.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Floss wrapped tightly around the end of a heavy bamboo skewer (fold the wad over the end, pull the ends out together like you're spinning yarn, wind it tightly around the skewer to fasten) is my weapon of choice to clean up my small tanks.

Abrasive enough to scrub the soft stuff easily, green dot algae takes time, skewer keeps your hands out of the water. Benefit, the white floss shows what you're getting off--keep rotating to a clean spot as you go, easy to tell when nothing further comes off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts