The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a quite annoying algae issue in my new tank. I would apreciate a lot someone help me to get rid of it. It's difficult (almost imposible) to remove even with tweezers without taking the leaf off. My tank has the following specs:

1. 20 Gallon
2. ~3weeks old, accelerated ciclyng with seachem stability
3. Fluval 207 running full flow (sponges and 1kg of biomax)
4. Two Fluval Aquasky (18watts,1250 lumens esch) running 8 hours a day at 50% power
5. Enriched substrate
6.Dosing macros and micros (2 times per week)
7. Co2 at 1 bubble per second, drop check: green
8. Changing water 2x a week (40%)

Water parameters:
Ph: 6.5
Gh: 7
Kh: 1.7
Amonia: <0.20
Nitritre: 0.25
Nitrate: 25

Since yesterday I have started dosing seachem excel 2x the recomended initial setup dosing at night. I plan to do it for 3 day and se how it goes.
I also plan to get like 15 amano shrimp (right now I only hace 1 but it doesnt eat the algae...).

Could someone give me more advice please? Tell me maybe what kind of algae is it?
Thanks a lot!

Daniel.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks like hair algae, we’ve had to deal with that before. I know directly dosing flourish excel with a syringe into the algae helped. I do not know the exact dosage or frequency, but worth looking more into!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide (H202) is great for getting rid of hair algae and is safe if dosed correctly. Usually gets rid of it pretty much overnight. Get some 3% "food grade" (i.e. pure without other nasties added) hydrogen peroxide and dose at 1.5ml per 4.5 litres (UK gallon) of tank water. Marks Shrimp tank video gives teh full low down (but ignore is confusion between US and UK gallons):

1 - 4 of 4 Posts